Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7
Share |
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


Hi, i have a ICP Electric Furnace Model: MF20N2600A1 along with a HEIL Heat Pump Model: CH5548VKD1, YJ048GB1. This was already installed in a house i recently bought and at first, i replaced the 1085928 fan control board because it had a burned and cracked chip on it and it smelled roasted so i replaced it with an aftermarket one and it burned the same way after 3 weeks of light use. So i bought another one on eBay, this time and OEM one, used but i installed it and it worked for 3 months, i had AC cooling my house very well, but yesterday, the thermostat went blank and i already knew the board got fried again. So i opened the unit and again, the board is fried the same way, the chip is cracked and smells roasted.

I tried to find something about this electric furnace on the internet, but no luck, nothing about this ICP unit or why does this board fry itself in the OFF position..

Here are few pics of my issue:








I have a Honeywell CT3611R4450 thermostat that was in the house. I'm thinking it's the thermostat that might be causing the boards to fry or i dont know what. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i would like to use the heat pump in the winter.

Malpopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Part of the Clover Leaf
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW Burbs of Detroit Mi.
Posts: 1,107
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpopies View Post
Hi, i have a ICP Electric Furnace Model: MF20N2600A1 along with a HEIL Heat Pump Model: CH5548VKD1, YJ048GB1. This was already installed in a house i recently bought and at first, i replaced the 1085928 fan control board because it had a burned and cracked chip on it and it smelled roasted so i replaced it with an aftermarket one and it burned the same way after 3 weeks of light use. So i bought another one on eBay, this time and OEM one, used but i installed it and it worked for 3 months, i had AC cooling my house very well, but yesterday, the thermostat went blank and i already knew the board got fried again. So i opened the unit and again, the board is fried the same way, the chip is cracked and smells roasted.

I tried to find something about this electric furnace on the internet, but no luck, nothing about this ICP unit or why does this board fry itself in the OFF position..

Here are few pics of my issue:








I have a Honeywell CT3611R4450 thermostat that was in the house. I'm thinking it's the thermostat that might be causing the boards to fry or i dont know what. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i would like to use the heat pump in the winter.
Its a defect in the board or an unusual secondary xfmr spike.

(The only thing that throws me is with a low voltage condition i.e shorting to ground, loose connection, the fuse on the board should have blown).

Did the fuse blow?

Check to make sure there is nothing conductive touching the back of the board.

C


Last edited by hvac5646; 07-28-2013 at 04:55 PM.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


Both boards had blown fuses. There are no wires touching the board and the board is attached to the unit securely. I am thinking that the thermostat is doing something wrong. I still have to check the wiring at the heat pump, maybe there is something wrong? But why would one board work a week and the next almost 3 months..?

Can i use a different, cheaper more reliable board for this HVAC unit or am i stuck with this pile of junk in my attic?
Thanks!
Malpopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 99
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpopies View Post
Both boards had blown fuses. There are no wires touching the board and the board is attached to the unit securely. I am thinking that the thermostat is doing something wrong. I still have to check the wiring at the heat pump, maybe there is something wrong? But why would one board work a week and the next almost 3 months..?

Can i use a different, cheaper more reliable board for this HVAC unit or am i stuck with this pile of junk in my attic?
Thanks!
Is the board touching the metal plate that the board is mounted to that is mounted to the front of the blower?

It is probably best to stick with that Texas Instruments board, but you may be able to retrofit with another board (you'll have to ask a service tech.)

Last edited by ModelAFan; 09-01-2013 at 08:04 PM.
ModelAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelAFan View Post
Is the board touching the metal plate that the board is mounted to that is mounted to the front of the blower?

It is probably best to stick with that Texas Instruments board, but you may be able to retrofit with another board (you'll have to ask a service tech.)
Of course not, the board is mounted on its 4 plastic stands.. if it was mounted on the bare metal, the whole unit would catch fire...

Texas or non texas, 3 boards burned up.
Malpopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 99
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


Good. I know it is mounted on 4 plastic stands, but sometimes the board can come in contact with the metal mounting plate.

If it did touch the metal, the whole unit shouldn't catch on fire. It might ground out the control board and cause it to get hot, start smoking, or the board catch on fire, but unit itself wouldn't catch on fire. Plus, the fuse on the CB should blow before it got that bad.
ModelAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


I have one board that has a smoked IC chip and when i install it, put a new 5amp fuse and turn the power on, the blower fan turns on and stays on and the unit cools, but the fan doesnt turn off. The board looks liker it shouldnt work, but it somehow does. The rest are completely dead.

The way it happens is the unit works fine, then next morning you go to the t-stat and it's blank, dead.

The fuses were all blown and so were the IC chips. All boards were properly mounted on their plastic post clips and none came loose. Its either the thermostat is causing something wrong or i have a a-hole rodent that likes to bite the t-stat wires from time to time and burn out my boards...

I wish i could sub this $125 board for a cheaper trane or similar board for half the price, then i wouldnt worry about it burning up, i would buy 5 in advance and be happy...

Another lesson learned, never buy a house that has a ICP central HVAC!

Last edited by Malpopies; 09-01-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Malpopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 9,011
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


1) check ALL the connections in the plastic molex plug connectors with a magnifying glass. one pin may be backed out and a poor connection causing over amping may be happening. or they are corroded.
2) check the amps draw of the unit before it enters and with the fan running and fan door on. compare it to the specs on the rating plate. looks like an over amping/high current draw or low voltage problem 2 me. check the incoming voltage and wiring connections where they enter the unit. they can get loose or corroded and hopefully U have no aluminum wiring in the house. check the connections at the panel for tightness also. check the unit grounding to a water pipe with a cheater wire, should have 0 or very low reading. poor grounding can fry boards.
3) check your fan motor capacitor as it may be getting weak and overamping the motor. need a microfarad reading meter. check the motor after running it for 15 mins. if it is so hot you cannot touch it then it may be seizing and overamping.

Good luck
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".

Last edited by yuri; 09-02-2013 at 08:55 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Electrical Contractor
 
wirenut1110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chester, VA.
Posts: 1,046
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


Check to make sure your control transformer secondary "neutral" is bonded to ground.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


Ok! i'll buy one more board and run those tests, thanks all for your input. Too bad you didnt see this post earlier, i wouldn't have to sleep naked with fans on throughout those hot and humid nights..

Yuri, explain to me about that 'cheater wire' thing please, thanks!
Malpopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 9,011
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


The only way to really know if you have a true proper ground to the unit is to check for ground between it's ground connection/wire and a copper water pipe or obviously the ground in the panel or to the house .

Batman: How do you get to a water pipe if it is 20 feet away ????

Answer: Robin

You take a piece of any kind of wire (#18 gauge minimum and hook it up to said water pipe and snake it back close to the unit and then use an ohmmeter. Pain in the butt but it works. If you don't have a good ground then you need to find out why and yes it does blow boards.
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 9,011
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpopies View Post
Ok! i'll buy one more board and run those tests, thanks all for your input. Too bad you didnt see this post earlier, i wouldn't have to sleep naked with fans on throughout those hot and humid nights.. EWW, too much information

Yuri, explain to me about that 'cheater wire' thing please, thanks!

.....
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


i see what you mean, i'll check the grounds of the house, but what still confuses me is the fact that 1 board worked 10 days, another about 20 and the 3rd one worked almost 3 months. They all went out the same way, smoked IC chip..
The one that worked the longest was an original OEM board from the same unit that i bought on eBay. I assume those clones these days are a lot cheaper quality and dont hold that well..
Malpopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 9,011
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


grounding is like VooDoo theory. you may have an intermittent ground due to poor connections at the board or all the rest of my scenarios. problems like yours are the WORST but after many yrs of experience and misery you learn a few tricks.
Attached Thumbnails
ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often-crystal-ball.jpg  
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Electrical Contractor
 
wirenut1110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chester, VA.
Posts: 1,046
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110
Default

ICP HQ1085928TX fan control board burn up too often


Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
grounding is like VooDoo theory. you may have an intermittent ground due to poor connections at the board or all the rest of my scenarios. problems like yours are the WORST but after many yrs of experience and misery you learn a few tricks.
I realize your arrogance and wisdom but, the EASIEST way to check for a proper ground is to check voltage on incoming power to ground THEN check for continuity between ground and the bonding of the secondary side of your transformer.

Running to a copper pipe is no guarantee that the pipe has even been bonded to the GEC, especially if someone has replaced some of the copper for plastic.

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1085928, heil, hq1085914tx, hq1085928tx, icp


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad control board? juddskee HVAC 12 12-24-2011 09:59 AM
Changing Control Board Questions -- HSI module and AC wire connection humdinger0102 HVAC 7 11-17-2011 12:16 AM
Replacing a control board RexHavoc HVAC 5 11-05-2011 03:57 PM
HELP? Control Board Fixed Heat...But Now A/C Won't Turn On - Homeowner KLR HVAC 35 08-15-2009 10:46 AM
Ruud a/c control board replacement ? kourso HVAC 1 07-20-2006 09:33 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.