Ice In Furnace Exhaust - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 320

Ice in furnace exhaust

We have had sub-zero temperatures for days here. My 90 % efficient furnace exhaust pipe keeps getting clogged with ice and it shuts down. What do I do? Isn't there supposed to be a bend at the end of this pipe?
Attached Thumbnails
Ice in furnace exhaust-dscn0656.jpg  

Advertisement

crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 880

Ice in furnace exhaust

depends on the brand and model #. looks bad to me. should stick out further from the wall and at least have a open Tee on the end of it. exhaust goes out the top and water falls down the bottom of the tee. also whatever is on the left of it and standing up should not be there as the exhaust is hitting it. the wind is supposed to be able to blow the exhaust away. post the brand and model # or look at the install manual for the proper venting.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #3

Ice in furnace exhaust

The furnace is a Lenox Elite. What do you mean by having a "T" there? That is just a fence next to it.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Ice in furnace exhaust

post the model #. Looks to me like it is vented completely wrong. I am a Lennox tech and they all use a 2 pipe system with a intake pipe with elbow and the exhaust beside it with a 1 foot long special exhaust pipe with accelerator inside it. you need to get a reputable Lennox dealer to fix it. should look like the setup in the red box in this pic
Attached Thumbnails
Ice in furnace exhaust-1.jpg  
Old 02-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #5

Ice in furnace exhaust

I did not take a picture of the exhaust vent, but it is next to the picture I posted about two feet to the left. My intake pipe still clogs every two days or so. I have to go out there with a spoon and clean it out to make the furnace not stop completely.

I just noticed that in my original post I called the pipe in the picture "exhaust." It is the intake.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Ice in furnace exhaust

I am a Lennox dealer and work on LOTS of them. The intake should have a 90 deg elbow pointed down. PLus that system relys on wind to blow the exhaust away from the intake or else it will recirculate back into the intake like yours. Looks to me like the fence or whatever else is around is causing the exhaust to recirc into the intake. The exhaust should also have a special 1 foot long piece of pipe with an orifice/reducer inside it which accelerates the exhaust far away so it does not recirc. Unless it is one of a few model #s that use a straight pipe like the 90,000 model. Recommend you get a reputable Lennox dealer to figure out why it is recirculating and fix it up properly.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 14

Ice in furnace exhaust

I have a SLP98 and for three years I've been dealing with codes E228 and E225. It looks like I managed to fix the E228 by adjusting the tilt of the water pump, but as soon as this current sub-zero front hit the furnace started throwing E225 again. I had ice on my exhaust pipe so I reset the furnace and high pressure switch as soon as the code came back on (which happened when the furnace attempted to power up to 100%) three times in order to melt any ice inside the pipes that would be causing a blockage. Furnace has been running now for 30 minutes.

I am assuming this is only a temporary fix, but still good to know while waiting for actual HVAC techs.

Advertisement

bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote