Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ice Build-Up on Chimney

What is causing the ice build-up on the chimney? This year it was extremely bad -- a 9-inch by 9-inch chunk came rolling down the roof. We have a Lennox Conservator III - G16 bought in November of 1984?

Bdfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,442

Ice Build-Up on Chimney

When U C smoke coming out of the chimney it is MOSTLY water vapor and condenses on the coldest available surface. Voila your chimm knee kap. You don't live in the Great White North do U? Happens all the time here. We had a severe Winter where I am. 150% more snow and cold than usual. Did you know the ventor/smoke exhaust fan for that unit is almost obsolete? Some versions of it are obsolete. I would start looking for a new furnace in the future.

Soon it is mozkuitoe season here. Big as Crows they are. Our Provincial Bird.
Attached Images

Last edited by yuri; 05-23-2013 at 07:10 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ice Build-Up on Chimney

Don't forget their lovely cousins the black fly. Then when the heat sets in out comes the deer fly. Keeps us scratching from may- sept.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,308

Ice Build-Up on Chimney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdfour View Post
What is causing the ice build-up on the chimney? This year it was extremely bad -- a 9-inch by 9-inch chunk came rolling down the roof. We have a Lennox Conservator III - G16 bought in November of 1984?
Kind of late in the year now. It is Summer in most parts of the North America Continent. Helps to post your location.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Ice Build-Up on Chimney

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
When U C smoke coming out of the chimney it is MOSTLY water vapor and condenses on the coldest available surface. Voila your chimm knee kap. You don't live in the Great White North do U? Happens all the time here. We had a severe Winter where I am. 150% more snow and cold than usual. Did you know the ventor/smoke exhaust fan for that unit is almost obsolete? Some versions of it are obsolete. I would start looking for a new furnace in the future.

Soon it is mozkuitoe season here. Big as Crows they are. Our Provincial Bird.
I really appreciate your answer. (In the past, I would have guessed you were from Minnesota, but here in southern Minnesota, we're not the Great White North like we used to be. We still have a good number of mosquitos though.) From other internet research, I had thought maybe the flue size was the problem or else the height of the chimney; however. an experienced HVAC person told me today, that the flue was not the problem and neither was the height of the chimney. Your answer sounds right because apparently the chimney air isn't being forced out fast enough to escape the chimney area and it condenses and freezes as soon as it hits the cold air. I'll get that exhaust fan checked. Thanks for the forewarning of the difficulty I might have if it needs replacement. P.S. Today, I came across an answer to another question someone had asked, and I thought that answer was a good one. It had smiley faces and interesting word choices too. I bet it was yours also. Wish I would have remembered to check the name for future dependable answers!
Bdfour is offline   Reply With Quote