Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I need to replace my old R22 ac. Should I Stay with R22 or R410 unit?

I just bought a rental TH and had nothing but trouble with the AC. At first it had blockage due to contracter not cleaning the copper lines before putting the freon. Later my AC tech cleared the blockage and put a filter on the inside copper line into the coil. He also put a new capacitor and a part that should jump start it. This is an old 2 ton R22 unit. Yesterday the AC stopped again but because the condensor locked and was not turning on. My tech is now telling me that I need to replace the out side AC unit. He recommends that I put in another R22 with 13 seer with 5 year warranty since this is a rental unit. This way he could remove the freon and put it back into the new AC and also keep the same coil. I told him that this will be a long term property for me and I also may need to change the old furnace by next year. I don't want to learn later that my new furnace will not work with the AC or if the AC R22 is not good. Please help me making the right decision since I already put so much money into buying this place and trying to repair the old AC unit. Should I stay with R22, keep the coil and not to worry about problems? Or should I pay more to get an R410, change the coil and have a longer warranty on the compressor (10y)? Will this make sense for a rental townhouse or is it too much money for a rental investment? Please help.

Last edited by help please; 07-17-2011 at 11:37 AM.
help please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

For the warranty alone I'd go to 410-A. Once everything is new you can also charge more per month and make some return on that investment.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,392

If you plan to keep it then I would replace the furnace and AC as a pkg. It is going to continuously nickle and dime you to death. The coil will spring a leak and you will be back where you started from. You can get a much better pkg price with the 2 units. If it is a NICE rental in a good area and you can get good tenants that don't trash the place then it is worth buying new units. Usually if you get good tenants, elderly folks or a family that does not want to be bounced around/moving all the time and they see you are sincere about taking care of the place then they will take care of it too. The other bums don't care and will drive the daylight out of the units and not change filters etc.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I will check to see if the coil is still relatively new. if it is under 5 or 6 years old, I'll go for the r22 to get 5 more years. who knows what will happen in the future. I own several rentals, my experience tells me go the cheapest way if you can. Good tenant is not easy to find, (my experiecne: 30% of them are not good. like mentioned, some of them won't clean or even change filters for 3 years), you will have a lot more to worry, not just AC.
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote