Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

I NEED HELP.... Its 85 degrees in my bedroom :(

I need some help!! I dont know where else to go....

My problem is that at night my room will get up to 85 degrees (yes I have a thermostat in here) We have tried everything. We called in the pros (who say the circulation is fine), blocked of the 2 vents outside by my room (brought the temp down from 93 degrees), put heat blocking shades up on my windows, took filing cabinets and other metal objects out, turn off all electronic devices, and I sleep with the door open but nothing seems to work.

I need help, this is ridiculous I live in Texas so granted it will be warm but sometimes I think it would be cooler to sleep outside.

CherryFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Do you have return air in this room? return is very important to remove hot air from this area.I assume this is on the second floor.Do you have plenty of supply air coming into this room?(cfm) size of this room?square foot of house,size airconditioner?is computer in this room??

coolmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

What direction does your room face? (north,east, south,west)
Is there an attic above this room?
If you have an attic then is there an attic fan installed and working?
Do you have air conditioning?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmen
Do you have return air in this room? return is very important to remove hot air from this area.I assume this is on the second floor.Do you have plenty of supply air coming into this room?(cfm) size of this room?square foot of house,size airconditioner?is computer in this room??
There is no return air in any room of our house
Its a one story house
When we called out the air conditioner guy he said we did have a good flow
My room is 12x14
The house is 2200sqft and the a/c unit is 5tons
yes my computer is in this room, but even with it shut off its hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline
What direction does your room face? (north,east, south,west)
Is there an attic above this room?
If you have an attic then is there an attic fan installed and working?
Do you have air conditioning?
My room faces southeast
I am the far corner of the house and yes there is part of our attic above my room but its a small space
We do not have an attic fan, I dont believe any house around here does... I have never seen one.
lol and yes we have a/c, every other room in our house is nice and cool. as a matter of fact I have to wear a jacket in some of them. In the family room we have 14 foot vaulted ceilings and sky lights but it stays a good 74 degrees at all times.

Thanks for your help so far.... I am suffocating in here.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #5

When your room is 85 degrees what is the outside temperature?
Do you have insulation in the attic?
Does the roof have any type of vents?

Our attic fan stopped working and it made the rooms below it very hot. Replaced the attic fan and the temperature of the rooms below the attic dropped by almost 20 degrees.

I would have an attic/gable fan installled. They are less than $100.

If the attic is 120+ degrees then the rooms below the attic will be hot as well.

I would take a small thermometer and test the temperature that is coming out of each air duct.
If there is a big difference in temperature between your room and other rooms in the house then you would need to check the system in more detail.

This may be a stretch but could it be that the furnace is blowing hot air into your room? You say that you have a thermostat in your room. Could the thermostat be stuck in the heat mode?
Old 06-10-2006, 03:44 PM   #6

[quote=redline]When your room is 85 degrees what is the outside temperature? Its 101 outside right now and my room is 80 as of right this second.

Do you have insulation in the attic? Yes there is insulation

Does the roof have any type of vents?I think so, the A/C guy has us block off the vents right above the a/c unit cause it was just sucking the hot air above my room in the attic.

Our attic fan stopped working and it made the rooms below it very hot. Replaced the attic fan and the temperature of the rooms below the attic dropped by almost 20 degrees.

I would have an attic/gable fan installled. They are less than $100.

If the attic is 120+ degrees then the rooms below the attic will be hot as well. Every other room is just fine.... that is what baffles us.

I would take a small thermometer and test the temperature that is coming out of each air duct. I will do that next.

If there is a big difference in temperature between your room and other rooms in the house then you would need to check the system in more detail. This is the reason the air guy came out last time. He crawled in the attic and didnt see any blockage. Now cold air comes out of the vent if you put your hand up next to it. But it doesnt blow very hard.

This may be a stretch but could it be that the furnace is blowing hot air into your room? You say that you have a thermostat in your room. Could the thermostat be stuck in the heat mode? Its just a lil digital one, when you walk through my door you can actually feel the heat hit you.

thanks

Last edited by CherryFab; 06-10-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryFab
Does the roof have any type of vents?I think so, the A/C guy has us block off the vents right above the a/c unit cause it was just sucking the hot air above my room in the attic.
Is the a/c unit in the attic or is it outside on the ground? The vents that the a/c guy told you to block-where are they? are they in your room? If so, are they near the floor or near the ceiling?

If the attic is 120+ degrees then the rooms below the attic will be hot as well. Every other room is just fine.... that is what baffles us.

Take a thermometer and see what the temperature is in the attic? what is the temperature in your room? what is the temperature otuside?

This is the reason the air guy came out last time. He crawled in the attic and didnt see any blockage. Now cold air comes out of the vent if you put your hand up next to it. But it doesnt blow very hard.

You say that the air doesn't blow hard after the a/c guy come - is this only in your room or is it on the whole house that the air has been decreased?

If you have rooms that are very cold compared to your room then you may want to adjust the dampers on the air vents to restrict the air flow to the colder rooms and open the air vents more in your room to get more cold area into it.

Try this. Close all the other air vents down until they are almost closed in all other rooms but in your room open the air vent fully. Does your room get any colder?

sorry for all the questions- I will take some time to figure this out without being able to look at it first hand.

You said that you have insulation. How thick is the insulation in the attic? (6,8,10,12,14 inches)

Is the water heater located in the attic?
Is the furnace located in the attic?

Is there any other source in the attic that may produce heat near your room?

thanks
how long ago was your house built?

Last edited by redline; 06-10-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #8

Quote:
how long ago was your house built?
It was built in 1966 and had a full remodel in the mid 90's

Is the a/c unit in the attic or is it outside on the ground? The vents that the a/c guy told you to block-where are they? are they in your room? If so, are they near the floor or near the ceiling?

The a/c unit is outside but by my window. The vents are also outside and on the under part of the roof.

Take a thermometer and see what the temperature is in the attic? what is the temperature in your room? what is the temperature otuside?

Will do! It will have to wait til tomorrow cause its late. The only bad thing is my room is the farthest point from the attic opening... lol go figure

This is the reason the air guy came out last time. He crawled in the attic and didnt see any blockage. Now cold air comes out of the vent if you put your hand up next to it. But it doesnt blow very hard.

You say that the air doesn't blow hard after the a/c guy come - is this only in your room or is it on the whole house that the air has been decreased?

Just in my room, it didnt blow hard before he came and it still blows the same amount.

If you have rooms that are very cold compared to your room then you may want to adjust the dampers on the air vents to restrict the air flow to the colder rooms and open the air vents more in your room to get more cold area into it.

Try this. Close all the other air vents down until they are almost closed in all other rooms but in your room open the air vent fully. Does your room get any colder?

I will do this bedfore I go to church tomorrow and see if it makes a diffrence by the time I get home.

sorry for all the questions- I will take some time to figure this out without being able to look at it first hand.

Thank you soooo much. You help is much appreciated

You said that you have insulation. How thick is the insulation in the attic? (6,8,10,12,14 inches)

I honestly dont know I just asked my father and he said yes. Again I will check this tomorrow as well and let you know

Is the water heater located in the attic? no they are in the front hallway
Is the furnace located in the attic? see above

Is there any other source in the attic that may produce heat near your room?
We dont even have anything in the attic everything is outside the house or in a closet.

thanks
Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryFab
It was built in 1966 and had a full remodel in the mid 90's

was it fully insulated?

Do the other rooms have attic space above them?

Will do! It will have to wait til tomorrow cause its late. The only bad thing is my room is the farthest point from the attic opening... lol go figure

I will do this bedfore I go to church tomorrow and see if it makes a diffrence by the time I get home.

I honestly dont know I just asked my father and he said yes. Again I will check this tomorrow as well and let you know

thanks

have you made any progress?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:24 PM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Don't mean to be a smart alick.....but how about just buying a room window A/C?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:40 PM   #11
Sciencerules

http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/whyVent/types.shtml#
This site will help explain about attic venting. Bad idea to block off if thats what happened.

AC air has to get in and out of your room. You can compare your room to another using stick insense. Open AC vent closed door, check rate that smoke leaves crack around door. You can also check if air leaks at outlets, light fixtures/switches, windows. If the distance from your vent to plenum is to long or size to small might be your problem. Had gas pipe crush flex vent in house in Houston, Tx.
MAS2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst.
Don't mean to be a smart alick.....but how about just buying a room window A/C?
I agree. Get a small window a/c for a temporary fix (relief)
Old 06-17-2006, 11:35 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
I agree. Get a small window a/c for a temporary fix (relief)

There is also another option....Putting electric Dampers in the ducts... I am guessing he is the last bedroom on the system. My home is the same way(2 story though) and we are working on putting in a zone setup. Basically you will have a Thermostat in your room, when your room is hot it will shut the dampers to the other rooms and run the AC to cool only the "zone" that is needed. Just a thought. Easy to do if the Ducts are easily reached.
wackerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #14

adjust dampers located at the main trunk supply runs.if you dont have them get them installed !! Your problem is a BAD duct design. Just simply and cheaply balance the system. NOT by shuting off by the register but AT the supply main duct.Trust me when I say that closing off at the register wont do much. 5 tons = 2000 cfm----------------- and if you cant install these dampers at the main trunk due to a finished basement.window unit or pay to have it corrected

coolmen is offline   Reply With Quote