Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #1

Share |

I need help! Furnace wont shut off on its own

My wife noticed that the furnace was on an unusualy long cycle ,after twenty minutes it didnt shut off. so I tripped the main breaker and waited for everything to cool off , about an hour later , i kicked the breaker back on and found it to be blowing right away , i opened the cover on the furnace and could see the element glowing. I replaced the thermostat , still have the same issue , its mounted level and the wires have been stripped and cleaned and are tight. what internal component should i identify ,if any .all help would be appreciated.
sincerely thanks ,Jeremy

jer_maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Post the brand name, model and serial #.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #3

Brand name is Duo Therm
mod# 305001-006
serial# A7703287
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #4

we're using the stove to maintain comfort in the house , should get down in the twenty's tonight .hopefully with your help , we'll have it repaired in a cost effective part replacement and maybe i'll learn a few new things while im at it. thank you for any knowledge i might receive in this situation.

thanks , jeremy
Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Never heard of it. Duomatic Olsen, Intertherm yes. Post pics of it with both covers off. It is a gas furnace correct, not electric? Are you in a prefab/manufactured home or mobile home?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #6

yes , im in a 78 schulties mobilehome and you are correct it is electric , complications with posting pics ,will keep trying.a quick disciptions is as follows 36inches tall 18 inches wide 24 inches deep. filter placement is directly on top of unit, behind upper panel is blower motor, breakers, lower panel covers heating elements etc. airblowsdown through subfloor and it reads duo therm in several places

Last edited by jer_maynard; 02-13-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

Then you have a stuck high voltage sequencer. Need a tech or electrician familiar with electric furnaces. The wiring is brittle and may need repairing/replacing also. I have seen electric furnaces catch on fire from that. The 240 volts and high amperage in that furnace WILL kill you if you stick your fingers in there. I won't be responsible for contributing to that.

Last edited by yuri; 02-13-2011 at 09:56 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
fabrk8r

If the blower runs continuous it's probably an open high limit switch. If that's the case it might be hard to find a replacement on a Sunday. A tech can get around this temporarily, but it's not safe for someone to do with no experience and it's definitely a very, VERY temporary emergency band-aid.

How dirty was the furnace filter when this happened. If it was a clean filter and the high limit tripped you have another issue which needs to be addressed.

Please be careful using the stove for heat. If it's a gas stove you are at risk for CO poisoning. If it's an electric oven you are at risk for fire or at least damaging the oven's electric elements from overheating.

Edit: sorry, just noticed that it is an electric furnace, so disregard the info on the high-limit switch. But please still be careful using a stove for heat.

Last edited by fabrk8r; 02-13-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added info
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #9

ok , i appreciate you looking out for my safety, both with fire hazard and shock hazard. can you estimate how much this may cost me? I wont gamble with trying to repair it myself

Last edited by jer_maynard; 02-13-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Hvac Pro

Seriously, at that age it is in POOR condition and I have worked on them for 32 yrs. The wiring is brittle and as soon as a tech starts working with it then it breaks and you end up rewiring the furnace. The porcelain insulators that hold the elements crack and the whole furnace can short out. The wiring can catch on fire and burn before the main breaker trips. I would shop around for a new Miller or Intertherm electric furnace as they make the best ones for mobile homes that I know of and are easy to get parts for. Under $3000 should get you a new furnace installed depending where you live and the cost of living etc. Repairs would start at $500 to $1000 easily with no guarantee another sequencer won't fail next week or an element short out. Like fixing a 1978 car unfortunately. Electric furnaces can be almost as dangerous as gas and people don't realize that.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #11

Probably a little late on this one but I had the same prob. last night Wife noticed something wrong...I also pulled the breakers. This morning I found the Cooling Relay was fried and the control cover had signs of a small fire... Now I need to find out where I can get new wires from...

Jostudman is offline   Reply With Quote