DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   I moved themostat 20 feet and my A/C doesn't work anymore (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/i-moved-themostat-20-feet-my-c-doesnt-work-anymore-120347/)

stanlam 10-17-2011 01:49 AM

I moved themostat 20 feet and my A/C doesn't work anymore
 
Hi,
I need help. I had to move a thermostat 20 feet (so I extended the wire another 20 feet) and now the central heater and A/C stopped working. The only thing that works is the fan.

There are 4 black wires coming out of the wall to the thermostat. If you look at the back of the thermostat, the wires are labeled....

RH (which is also jumped to RC)
G
W
Y

I read from another website that the W and Y wires are to control the Heating and A/C. Do you think it is possible I reversed these wires? If I try to swap them to test it out, will it damage the system?

Right now....
- If you turn on the A/C, it only works as a fan. (No cold air.)
- If you turn on the heater, it doesn't do anything.
- If you turn on the fan only, it works perfect as a fan.

JJboy 10-17-2011 02:28 AM

Did you install an extension cable where it was the thermostat to the new position or installed a new cable from thermostat ( new position ) to the controller board?

stanlam 10-17-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJboy (Post 750341)
Did you install an extension cable where it was the thermostat to the new position or installed a new cable from thermostat ( new position ) to the controller board?

It was an extension cable.

JJboy 10-17-2011 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanlam (Post 750342)
It was an extension cable.

Turn off the furnace .... just follow the colors to make the connections

stanlam 10-17-2011 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJboy (Post 750343)
Turn off the furnace .... just follow the colors to make the connections

I'm confused. I can't even turn on the furnace. Also, all 4 wires that are coming from the wall are black, so there are no colors.

JJboy 10-17-2011 02:59 AM

If you marked the wires that were connected to the thermostat...it will be easy for you...... now if you disconnected the black wires without any identification, you will need a multimeter to identify each wire .....this is the best way to save your controller board, fuse or transformer.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6236/labelsv.jpg

stanlam 10-17-2011 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJboy (Post 750345)
If you marked the wires that were connected to the thermostat...it will be easy for you...... now if you disconnected the black wires without any identification, you will need a multimeter to identify each wire .....this is the best way to save your controller board, fuse or transformer.


Hi,
I did mark the wires. However, I'm wondering if I marked it incorrectly.

I read from another website that the W and Y wires are to control the Heating and A/C. Do you think it is possible I reversed these wires? If I try to swap them to test it out, will it damage the system?

REP 10-17-2011 03:13 AM

Instead of cobbing the job,why don't you go and buy enough 18-4 real thermostst wire (18-5 would be even bgetter in case you ever needed an extra wire for a set back stat ) and connect the new wire like it should be.
I don't like spliced wire anyways,it too easy to not get a good connection.

stanlam 10-17-2011 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REP (Post 750349)
Instead of cobbing the job,why don't you go and buy enough 18-4 real thermostst wire (18-5 would be even bgetter in case you ever needed an extra wire for a set back stat ) and connect the new wire like it should be.
I don't like spliced wire anyways,it too easy to not get a good connection.

I will probably have to do what you are suggesting as the last resort. For now, does anybody know if I can swap the W and Y wire to see if it will work. Running a completely new thermostat wire will take about 5 hours to hide the wire and run it from the 2nd roof to the center of the house on the 1st floor. Swapping the W and Y wire will take about 5 minutes.

JJboy 10-17-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanlam (Post 750351)
I will probably have to do what you are suggesting as the last resort. For now, does anybody know if I can swap the W and Y wire to see if it will work. Running a completely new thermostat wire will take about 5 hours to hide the wire and run it from the 2nd roof to the center of the house on the 1st floor. Swapping the W and Y wire will take about 5 minutes.


You have R-G working ( FAN ON ). disconnect these wires at thermostat.

try these combinations:

R-W - call for heat
R-Y-G - call for cooling

Don't do R-W-G......

COLDIRON 10-17-2011 07:25 AM

Try what JJ said and if your still having a problem listen to REP and take 5 hours and run new thermostat wire from the air handler/heater to the thermostat. Look how much time your wasting messing with all the same color wires that are suspicious from the start. Who ever first installed that system was &^^%#^%. 18-5 and keep the spare.

Doc Holliday 10-17-2011 10:49 AM

If you were to tie onto the new extended stat wire at the new location with the new 18-4 colored wire and just pull it back to where the old stat location was, where the splice is, it should take you all of 15 minutes.

From there you can splice color to color. Use small blue or gray wire nuts.

Running all new stat wire from the furnace to the new location shouldn't take any longer than 45 minutes.

stanlam 10-18-2011 01:20 AM

I will try this weekend and post the results. Thanks.

stanlam 12-18-2011 01:16 AM

sorry, I know this post is 2 months to old. However, I did want to respond for future reference. The problem was the wire, it was to long and the wrong type. So the problem was solved after installing the correct wire. Thanks for your help.

COLDIRON 12-18-2011 07:35 AM

Good job, you sure that was the only thing wrong?? Not wired correctly?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.