Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I live in a very small house and my utilities bills are outrageous.

Electric close over $200.00 and gas over $100.00. The house less than 900 sq. ft. It's also a duplex so one wall in "insulated" by the unit next to us. The electric during the summer is double same with gas during the winter. I know the house needs insulation but IMHO the venting is an ever bigger problem but much less costly to correct. I have a atomic clock that sits about 3 feet away from a window and the thermostat is located about 18 feet from that on a wall in the center of the house and 12 feet away from the HVAC unit. The thermostat will be showing 73 degrees the clock by the window will be at 64degrees. The HVAC is located in the middle on the house and the main trunk for the vent is directly overhead and runs down the middle line on the house. The vents on one end are located directly in the trunk on the end and on both sides. The vents for the bedrooms are on the other end and are flexible pipe only about 3-4 feet long. None of the vents are close to being on the outer wall over the windows.

My question is will correct my heating and A/C problems and the outrageous bills?

near3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Moving vents to the outside walls will not solve the heat loss/heat gain you are experiencing, it may make if feel more comfortable, but sounds like you need some insulation to be installed there.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I guess that's it. It's never comfortable in here.
near3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

The first step is to seal up all the gaps and cracks. It won't matter how much insulation you have if the wind just blows through. Put the back of your hand near electrical outlets. If you feel a breeze, then you need to fix that. Same thing with gaps around your windows and doors, and the openings in the ceiling for light fixtures.

You might look into seeing if there's a way to insulate your duct work, too. If it's running in the attic, then you will loose a lot of heat (or AC) into the attic space. In the summer, the heat in the attic will radiate into the duct, which will warm the air up before it ever gets inside your house.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote