Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #1

Share |

I know I shouldn't ask...

However, I live in Marietta, GA. I'm in the process of finishing my basement. It's a walk-out. In other words, the whole back is at grade. The whole front is below grade. The poured walls slope front to back. It's around 900 sq ft that I'm finishing. It's all open except for the bathroom. I'm thinking about how to heat/cool the area and how much installation would cost. I probably could drop ~$800 for a PTAC unit but I want the area to be quiet for the projection screen.

Anyway, here's the big question: Can someone give me a rough estimate on what it would cost to install a forced air unit? I know it could be gas like the rest of the house or electric because installing would be easy but I'm just trying to get a rough estimate on the cost.

Yeah, I know I need to get guys in here to give "real" numbers but I just would like a jumping off point.

Thanks for any help.
beer_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

HI beer geek If you are going to spend your money, a better investment would be a mini-split. They are quieter and much more efficient as well as effective. The cost is slightly higher, but the added expense is worth it. Good luck Rusty
Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #3

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying a mini-split will cost more than forced air? Maybe I'm using the wrong term.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi beer geek In your original post you were talking about a PTAC or what is known as a Package terminal A/C. That is what I am referring to, a mini split is far superior to a PTAC. Hope this helps to clarify. Good luck Rusty
Old 03-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #5

That clarifies your initial post. Thanks.

Any input on the original question?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Diesel Fitter

Hey what about Sanyo there prducts are great if you go electric.
mikemy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by #CARRIERMAN View Post
Hi beer geek In your original post you were talking about a PTAC or what is known as a Package terminal A/C. That is what I am referring to, a mini split is far superior to a PTAC. Hope this helps to clarify. Good luck Rusty

Maybe carrierman has never seen a ptac or a mini split and it just speaking of of refrence material, but a PTAC and a mini split are ALOT alike in the aspect that they are both for small area's they both are powered strictly off off normal household current (220) they both mount to and/or go thru a wall. They both also can be used for heat and air conditioning. The biggest difference is that on a mini split (Sanyo's mini split is rated #1 btw) over a ptac is that the mini split's condensor is located out side of the house, were on the ptac it is intergrated into the back of the unit. If all of this seems confusing, just think of the last time you traveled and spent time in a motel/hotel and the HVAC went through the wall thats a ptac, follow this link http://www.ptacs4sale.com/ and you can get a good view of a mini split, and some ptac's.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #8

OK. I know what both things are. I was asking for a ballpark figure on the cost of installing a forced air system in the basement described above. I only mentioned the other things as options that I already know about.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #9

Hard to say..........i would guess furnace air and ductwork would run $7500.00
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
Hard to say..........i would guess furnace air and ductwork would run $7500.00

Thanks. I appreciate the input. Having a "guesstimate" allows me to budget the savings without having to bring guys in only to say "see you 3 months".