Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
bsa_bob

Rewards Points: 150
Cool

I have water leak! inside my SX-90 armstrong furnace help!!

There is a black two piece[appears to be]i have tried to repair or slow down this leak for 15 years and i've had it, I believe this to be just hard plastic........band glue won't help any.I've replaced the 2" bands......[rearranged the position] of them also "pipe doped" the rubber caps that are held on with theses screw bands.. Any help to this retired journeyman plumber will be gratefully accepted , ok guys what do you think. bob s---------------------------------

bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Sounds like your ABS furnace vent pipe/fitting is cracked. Could be allowing CO into living space. Cut out the bad section and replace using ABS pipe, fittings and glue.

Can you post a picture?

Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
fabrk8r

I should also add that if it is the vent pipe that is cracked the reason you have water leaking is because water is a byproduct of the combustion of natural gas.
Normally that water would drain back to the condensate drain, but it sounds like in your case the cracked vent pipe is letting some of the condensate escape before it can make it back to the drain hose.

In a way it's a good thing because it alerted you to a dangerous condition.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
bsa_bob

Heres the culprit.so to speak.Hope this helps bob s and thanks Hers another pic. not to good.hth

Last edited by bsa_bob; 10-31-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
fabrk8r

Is there a crack in the flexible rubber cap or is it a crack in the ABS? If that flexible rubber cap is cracked it should replaced.
If the ABS is cracked it may be from over-tightening the worm clamp and it may be possible to repair it with ABS cement.
Also, are you getting any condensate from the drain pipe...I just want you to make sure the condensate hose isn't plugged.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
bsa_bob

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Is there a crack in the flexible rubber cap or is it a crack in the ABS? If that flexible rubber cap is cracked it should replaced.
If the ABS is cracked it may be from over-tightening the worm clamp and it may be possible to repair it with ABS cement.
Also, are you getting any condensate from the drain pipe...I just want you to make sure the condensate hose isn't plugged.
Thanks again for being so helpful,fabrk8r! I have tried "pvc cement"---tomorrow morning i'll go get some "ABS glue", and try that. As far as cutting out a section and replacing it, the moulded "Y" is right where the water.................... ,well.......... just below that point, and above the rubber cup, is always wet.I wish i knew where i could get that "black section" and replace it.Calling all over is on my agenda for this also tomorrow....should the ABS glue not take care of it... BTW -this thing has leaked abit for 15 years.I had no idea it could be dangerous..so thanks for the heads-up on that too. bob s
Old 10-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

If you have been trying to stop the leak for 15 years on the same unit, it is time to replace with a more efficient one. 15 years is past the prime & operating efficiency, that with cost effectiveness to maintain.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
bsa_bob

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If you have been trying to stop the leak for 15 years on the same unit, it is time to replace with a more efficient one. 15 years is past the prime & operating efficiency, that with cost effectiveness to maintain.
Good point gregzoll well taken...........but....-----------This air-ease hasn't give me a headache at all in those past years..i have a professional, come check out the burner and the flame. then i oil it up and clean out the fan area and humidifier on a regular basis ,change filters regularly. I won't send her to the boneyard yet. she runs quiet.actually this is the only complaint other than the ..pvc..outside.. getting plugged up by a "hornets nest occasionally ,each year"
Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob

Good point gregzoll well taken...........but....-----------This air-ease hasn't give me a headache at all in those past years..i have a professional, come check out the burner and the flame. then i oil it up and clean out the fan area and humidifier on a regular basis ,change filters regularly. I won't send her to the boneyard yet. she runs quiet.actually this is the only complaint other than the ..pvc..outside.. getting plugged up by a "hornets nest occasionally ,each year"
In that case, just pull the PVC and replace with new piping. 15 years is a long time for allowing the acid from the flue gases to eat at the piping. If it was me though, as stated before, I would update to a newer more efficient system.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote