I Am Amazed! - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 334

I am amazed!

Over the past couple years I've been trying to figure out ways to lower our summer power bill and I knew the easiest way would be to bring our home up to more efficient standards and go with a more properly sized a/c.
Recently I sent a couple pm's to beenthere and picked his brain a couple times and also engaged the help of an old pro here in Vegas who has since passed.

We have an 1835 sq ft, west facing home in Vegas and with the addition of some new solar screens, more attic insulation and some sealing of doors and windows, we were able to go with a 3 ton rtu, which I thought would be way too small. I also had a few local contractors that said 3 tons would never cool this house, incidentally, they are the same ones that don't do load calcs.

Well, today in Vegas it was 109 degrees and I came home to a cool 72 degree house and the danged unit wasn't even running, it had cycled off! I would have never thought this possible, ever.

After growing up in the 400 sq ft per ton world, I am now a firm believer in load calculating. Truth be told, I didn't do a load calc on my house, I just happened to have a newer 3 ton gas pack sitting in my garage and was determined to make it work on my house. Persistence pays off.

I also installed a PAV but have since done some reading and discovered that most pros don't approve of them, so I may be removing it down the road.

Tomorrow will be 111 degrees but after seeing today, I know it will work fine.

Advertisement

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,480

I am amazed!

Glad to hear everything is working out.

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

I am amazed!

What size was the old system? Also, my company manufactures and sells and installs their own brand of solar powered attic fans, draws heat out of the attic. You could find one for your place as well, I'm sure.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 334

I am amazed!

The old unit was a 4 ton. A few of my neighbors have gone to 5 ton by recommendation of a/c companies when they had their units replaced.

The single story homes in our neighborhood range from 1750 to 1925 sq ft and they all originally came 4 and 5 ton.

We also have vaulted ceilings in the front of the house and master bedroom and zero shade on our house, no large trees. I really figured on a hot day that this 3 ton unit would run constantly and the temp would creep up in the house a little but so far no.
We've yet to have our monsoon season and I'm sure that will add some strain with the humidity but either way, we'll be good.

I checked into solar powered attic fans but couldn't swing the extra money at the time.

The evergreen motor I put in the unit, was more for savings in the winter when the humidifier is running but I'm sure it helps a tad in the summer. I also added a start assist to the unit and a compressor blanket, (noisy recip)

Last edited by sammy37; 06-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote