Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hydronic Radiant Flooring

Hi:

I'm pretty excited about the recent installation of my Triangle Tube Prestige Solo and considering all thin cool things I can do with the unit. I'd like to start using radiant floor heating in a couple places if possible. First, I'd like to put some type of flooring on top of the 7'x'12' tile floor on my front porch. The trick with this is finding the thinnest possible solution.

1)
What is the thinnest option available for hydronic radiant flooring? If there's something that has both the sub-floor/casing and the finished top floor, I'm certainly not opposed to using this (if it's available). If a combined under-layment + finish-floor option is not available, is there a minimum thickness thickness that's required?

(I'd like to not have to cut the doors and raise the door thresholds if it is avoidable.)

2)
Has anyone ever tried installing Hydronic radiant heat from BELOW the existing flooring... between the existing joists?
This is not something I'm really currently investigating, but it would be interesting to know if there's information out there on doing it. I'd love to change my radiators over to radiant floor heating, but I don't want to have to replace all my existing wood & tile flooring. I do however have exposed basement joists. What if it was possible to pin tubing to the basement ceiling, and then spray-foam below it all? Has anyone ever tried anything like that?

EDIT: I found my own answer to #2. Apparently this is pretty common practice. Good to know! Here's a guide by Radiantec: http://www.radiantec.com/pdf/Within_...diant_Heat.pdf

Last edited by mknmike; 02-07-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Found Answer to #2
mknmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Hydronic Radiant Flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknmike View Post
Hi:

I'm pretty excited about the recent installation of my Triangle Tube Prestige Solo and considering all thin cool things I can do with the unit. I'd like to start using radiant floor heating in a couple places if possible. First, I'd like to put some type of flooring on top of the 7'x'12' tile floor on my front porch. The trick with this is finding the thinnest possible solution.

1)
What is the thinnest option available for hydronic radiant flooring? If there's something that has both the sub-floor/casing and the finished top floor, I'm certainly not opposed to using this (if it's available). If a combined under-layment + finish-floor option is not available, is there a minimum thickness thickness that's required?

(I'd like to not have to cut the doors and raise the door thresholds if it is avoidable.)

2)
Has anyone ever tried installing Hydronic radiant heat from BELOW the existing flooring... between the existing joists?
This is not something I'm really currently investigating, but it would be interesting to know if there's information out there on doing it. I'd love to change my radiators over to radiant floor heating, but I don't want to have to replace all my existing wood & tile flooring. I do however have exposed basement joists. What if it was possible to pin tubing to the basement ceiling, and then spray-foam below it all? Has anyone ever tried anything like that?

EDIT: I found my own answer to #2. Apparently this is pretty common practice. Good to know! Here's a guide by Radiantec: http://www.radiantec.com/pdf/Within_...diant_Heat.pdf
Hey Mike,

I've just installed hydronic radiant on top of my subfloor, with hardwood floor on top. I chose 10mm thick strand woven bamboo, and together with the heating loops, everything is only marginally thicker than carpet+pad - at least in my case, there's no reason to cut or rehang doors.
It's a completely custom system with OSB cut into strips and the tubing runs in between. I've been posting about our experience in the hopes that it'll be helpful to some attempting a similar project:

http://pieschefamilyhomeimprovement.blogspot.com/

The 'diary' is still not complete (still sifting through pictures and organizing everything), but I'm updating frequently. Hope this contains some useful information for you!

Olaf

opiesche is offline   Reply With Quote