Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hydronic Radiant Floor Boiler settings

I have a newly installed (well not that new but will be the first time we use heat) Triangle Tube Prestige Excellence 110NG Combo boiler. After install, and aside from me adjusting the Thermostatic Mixer valve for the DHW to get the right temp hot water, I've left everything "as is" and my contractor left the unit at the factory settings (I've checked them).

We have the outdoor sensor hooked up (at least at the default settings).

In preparation for the winter I started reading the manuals, online info, etc and I'm trying to configure the boiler to work optimally. i.e. use the least amount of energy while maintaining comfort.

We have 3 zones. Main floor - Radiant (hardwood), 2nd Floor - Radiant (Hardwood), and Basement - Radiators.

I've read that the floor temps should not be over 80F and that the Boiler CH supply should be around 120F - 135F. I've also read that it's recommended to keep the boiler max temp at 160F. Currently set to default 180 however, the manual says that setting it to 140F is actually 187F as there is some control heat of 47F that is added... a bit confusing.

So if the CH is off in the summer, does it make sense to set the DHW to a lower temp rather than having the boiler raise the temp to 180F and use the mixing valve to lower the temp?

I'm also hearing that setting the max heat and min heat based on the outdoor sensor correctly can avoid very inefficient cycling at or near the max heat limit (the swing temp currently set to 64F where below, turns CH on and above turns CH off on the boiler). The Tstat may be calling for Heat but if the temp is above 64F outside, it wont turn on, etc.

Thanks in advance!

lithiumus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,756

Hydronic Radiant Floor Boiler settings

Use the lowest boiler water temp you can.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote