DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Hydronic Forced Air (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/hydronic-forced-air-172388/)

kingloose 02-19-2013 01:20 PM

Hydronic Forced Air
 
3 Attachment(s)
Hi

I am looking to purchase a home and after the home inspection i found the house has these things in every room. From my search this looks like a hydronic Forced Air. Does anyone know anything about this ? is it eficient ? Any issues with the system as far as fire, water damage etc? what is the cost of changing this ?

any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Attachment 65964

Attachment 65965

Attachment 65966

TarheelTerp 02-19-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingloose (Post 1120420)
...and after the home inspection i found the house has these things in every room. ... any input is greatly appreciated.

Tell the seller to contact you after they have replaced the HVAC system completely. Meanwhile... keep looking for other houses.

eta:back out of the contract and get any deposit money back too.

kingloose 02-19-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarheelTerp (Post 1120481)
Tell the seller to contact you after they have replaced the HVAC system completely. Meanwhile... keep looking for other houses.

eta:back out of the contract and get any deposit money back too.


thank you for your response.

I am not sure the seller will convert of update the system. Iwanted to see if anyone here have seen this and cost of getting this converted to HVAC or any radiator system

thanks

TarheelTerp 02-19-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingloose (Post 1120528)
I am not sure the seller will convert of update the system.

It might take them a year to come to the realization...
--but if they want to sell-- then sellers need to fix their major systems.

The subtext of my first post is that very few buyers will have the many thousands of dollars needed to install a modern HVAC system (or new roof or whatever else that might be deficient in an older home) on top of all the other purchase expenses they have.

Most buyers will NEED the seller to do that level of work on their own and wrap the total cost into the negotiated price which will then be part of the mortgage. Serious sellers (with good agents) would have done it before listing and showing the home.

A good buyers agents would have already explained all this to you.

hth

kingloose 02-19-2013 07:01 PM

I appreciate your advice but what I am looking for is concrete fix. I am perfectly ok doing this work if the seller takes $$$ off the price. That said I am looking to see if anyone had seen this before, what kind of effort is required ? Options ? Etc

Thanks

oh'mike 02-19-2013 07:06 PM

What does the boiler look like?

kingloose 02-19-2013 07:19 PM

The boiler looks like its under 5 years old..

oh'mike 02-19-2013 07:23 PM

We have a couple of long time boiler guys here that may be familiar with that vintage radiator system---

If the boiler is up to date, you just need to figure out if that radiator system is efficient and trouble free--

Be patient--it's cold and some of the best 'help' is likely working or eating supper----

oh'mike 02-19-2013 07:25 PM

I like hydronic heat--I have it in this house----good efficient and trouble free--and cheaper that any other that I know of---

kingloose 02-19-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike
We have a couple of long time boiler guys here that may be familiar with that vintage radiator system---

If the boiler is up to date, you just need to figure out if that radiator system is efficient and trouble free--

Be patient--it's cold and some of the best 'help' is likely working or eating supper----

Thanks

This does look like a vintage system I have floated the pics to a local hvac shop and they were as intrigued with this system as I was ;)

It seems there a lot of moving PArts and not much support out here to for this particular system. It is pretty loud as well

oh'mike 02-19-2013 07:52 PM

I owned a building with a combination steam radiator / steam heated forced air system---that was unique---and required the service of the oldest boiler guy in the area----

for a home---converting to baseboards might be an option----the ducts could be used for air conditioning---

Do you have pictures of the heat exchanger?

newtech 02-21-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingloose (Post 1120420)
Hi

I am looking to purchase a home and after the home inspection i found the house has these things in every room. From my search this looks like a hydronic Forced Air. Does anyone know anything about this ? is it eficient ? Any issues with the system as far as fire, water damage etc? what is the cost of changing this ?

any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Attachment 65964

Attachment 65965



Attachment 65966

I have seen quite a few of those.

There should be a t-stat for each fan coil. It was a way to control heat to each zone, instead of using zone valves with baseboard heat.

There should be no problems with a fire ( but you do have an electric blower motor ) as the water temp should be 180F max. As far as water damage goes... You could have that with any hydronic system.

newtech 02-21-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingloose (Post 1120668)
Thanks

This does look like a vintage system I have floated the pics to a local hvac shop and they were as intrigued with this system as I was ;)

It seems there a lot of moving PArts and not much support out here to for this particular system. It is pretty loud as well

If they didn't oem the motors, most parts are generic.. A lot of contractors told the customer the same thing, I think that they just didn't know how it operated. It is just a simple fan coil unit.....

Missouri Bound 02-21-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingloose (Post 1120646)
The boiler looks like its under 5 years old..

Get a picture of the boiler, and get a mfg. date. How are the units piped, pex or rigid? Get a HVAC in there to evaluate the equipment and give you a cost for replacement of the units, and the boiler if needed. Nothing is cheap.:no: Where do you live....is air conditioning a consideration as well?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved