Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
gct

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hybrid System - same brands?

I have a new house with a Trane XV80 and would like to add a heat pump to form a duel fuel (hybrid) system. AM I limited to Trane heat pumps?

Thanks. Great site.

gct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
fabrk8r

No, you are not limited to using a Trane HP with the Trane XV80 furnace you already have.

You can use any brand you like, they will work together.

Do you currently have AC and want to change the condensing unit out for a HP?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
fabrk8r

I would also like to add that the brand of HVAC equipment you choose is not as important as the quality of the installation of said equipment.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. You can buy the most expensive HVAC equipment with all the bells and whistles, but if it isn't installed correctly it's worthless. On the other hand you can buy inexpensive builder grade equipment that is from the back of the "scratch-and-dent" pile at your local HVAC supply outlet and it can keep your home comfortable for decades if installed correctly and with attention to detail.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
gct

Yeah, the main reason I asked is that I want to be free to choose a good installer even if they don't sell Trane. I am not replacing any AC, though the builder installed the lines from the furnace area to the logical place outside where an AC or HP would be installed.

As far as choosing a good installer, other than Angie's list, etc., how do I choose one over another?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
fabrk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by gct View Post
As far as choosing a good installer, other than Angie's list, etc., how do I choose one over another?
Word of mouth is about the best advertisement an HVAC company can get.

If you have any friends, relatives or co-workers who have had any HVAC work done in the past few years, that would be a good place to start.
Ask them if the service they got made them all warm and fuzzy. Ask them if the workers made sure to clean up after themselves and be courteous. This is a good sign.

Another way to find an installer is to look for yard signs that mechanical contractors place in yards when they do a job. This works because A: if the customer wasn't happy with the work they would either not allow the sign or yank it out as the installers left the driveway, and B: because the contractor knows that if anyone asks the homeowner if they would recommend them they had better have done a good job or else it will not benefit them to spend the money for the signs.

Most people don't even notice the signs until they are actually looking for them. It's surprising how many you will see when you drive around and are aware of them. Don't be afraid to approach the homeowner and ask how they feel about the job, the contractor asked them if they would allow the sign for that very reason.

Good luck!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
gct

Thanks for the info and advice