DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

HVAC Zoning question

Tags
hvac zoning
1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  yuri 
#1 ·
We moved into a large home a few months back and right off the bat had some problems with the zone dampers for the the main floor. The dampers are the rectangular blade type and almost all of them are malfunctioning due to worn out/stripped gears. I am about to have the dampers replaced and am wondering if I should do away with one of the zones to simplify the heating system.
The first floor is approx. 2,900 sqft, and the finished basement is about the same size. These two floors are connected to an air handler in the basement.
The main floor has two thermostats, roughly splitting that floor in half.

My question is....Does it really make sense to have a floor split into two zones? It's mostly an open floor plan with the dining room, kitchen, great room, and small living room all open to each other. The only rooms closed off by a door is a room we use as an office, a bathroom, and a laundry room.

I'm thinking of removing the dampers for the second zone and the second thermostat so the main floor is one zone, in order to simplify the system. Am I making a mistake?

Thanks.
ctguy is online now Report Post

See less See more
#2 ·
with a huge floor like that I would be tempted to stay with the dampers. It may cost quite a bit to get them bypassed and rewired etc and may equal the cost of fixing the dampers anyway. The system may be balanced to use zoning and may be uncomfortable later. not something I would do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.