Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Share |

hvac waste to pool heating.

I know this is not a foreign idea to anyone in the business. I also to know some companies offer this but I have a situation where I may be able to do this with some guidance.

I have an HVAC two feet from a pool heater. I never use the pool heater so I'm ok with experimenting on it.

Summer in FL, my HVAC likes to run, often. As I understand it, my pump removes the humidity form my house and pours it in to the wild. Along with this, the pump itself gets rather hot and for the sake of counting decimals the sun heat up things as well.

So my thought here is to channel this heat in to the pool. Since my pool heater does this in some faction or another ( maybe like an oil cooler in a car? ) I hopping to jump start it, just not using electricity. Now I have no clue how the pool heater works but I dont think the idea is too far fetched. I more then likely would have to study the concept first.

I really just want to get thoughts in the matter here. The parts I dont quite understand are how to channel this heat. Best I understand is the heat is transported out of the house via coolant and then transferred to the radiator wrapped around the AC unit. With the use of a fan blowing upwards... And I guess the heater does the reverse. The pool water is poured in to a reservoir and in some why then heated up. So effectively I need to not transfer the heat from the AC coolant lines to the radiator core but rather the heater core or put them together some how, no?

one show stopper:
I'd have to throw a switch or control it via a temp gauge. This switch should handle the channeling and shot off the fan on the AC. Dangerous to the AC yes?

Last edited by ulao; 05-31-2013 at 11:03 AM.
ulao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #2

There's at least one existing product out there that does what you are looking for. I saw one installed in an episode of Ask This Old House. It involves adding a heat exchanger between your AC Condenser and your pool pump.
This is a link to the episode.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/a...652494,00.html

Old 05-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

basically you would swing the air cooled condenser off line and have a water cooled condenser sun in the summer to cool the house and heat the pool.note the pool would only heat when the ac is running .if you dedicated the water cooled condenser to the pool then the house would over cool...the load in the house does have an effect on the compressor and the load it sees to heat the pool.if you went ground source running the unit cooling or heating the pool would be a relief on the wallet but the install is the killer...air cooled condenser cost are to run the water cooled condenser.. or put the condenser in the pool...just kidding.might consider solar with a three way valve and circ pump so you set the temp of the water returning to the panel and the three way swings the warm...even hot water to temp the pool water....ever feel a garden hose laying out in the sun....when you first open it up...that is some major heat
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

thats certainly a neat idea, but are you saying your pool is not hot enough in the summertime? mine gets well into the eighties during the hottest summer months here in houston. im guessing you are looking to make the hvac more efficient?

i dont know alot about hvac, but you may want to look into a PVC tube in shell type heat exchanger, the refrigerant lines are usually made from titanium and are cleanable. ive seen these types of heat exchangers used in small chillers.

you would plumb this into your pool filter loop along with a three way electric ball valve actuator/ flow switch and probably some temperature sensors.

you will be adding fairly substantial resistence to your pool filtration loop as well as your refrigeration loop id imagine. you would have to evaluate the benefits for yourself.

if you do end up doing anything, could you update this thread? its an interesting concept.
Queequeg152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #5

trick i saw on a country club pool area that had a bar area enclosed to serve drinks.the bartender had a sheet metal box painted black 2" deep and say 6' x 4' with rows of copper pipng on the roof piped to a sink for hot water...the dog days of summer hitting a larger application of that would give unlimited heating of moving water.you could pull pool water with a B&G circualtor pump and cycle it with a stat to maintain the pool.... just thinking out loud something like this check out some of these mouse trap designs...

Last edited by biggles; 06-01-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #6

thx for all the reply's, ill update the post if I get it working.

"thats certainly a neat idea, but are you saying your pool is not hot enough in the summertime?" - My pool is built at the perfect location so that I hardly get sun during the spring months. Though my house gets plenty of heat. In the middle of summer its not too bad at all.

Sometimes when I think of the idea I wish I had the real estate to make an underground heat farm. The idea of harvesting the warm air all summer and using it in the winter and vice versa. The over all idea of this poring perfectly good hot air in the the wild bothers me.

Think about it. We give heat a way for free but we pay to use a water heater. We pay to heat the pool in some cases and pay to heat the house. Some regions like mid east ( NC for example ) its cold at night warm in the day. You end up with windows open at night and close in the day, effectively using your house to harness temps.

Last edited by ulao; 06-03-2013 at 06:43 AM.
ulao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Geo-thermal systems work by using the ground or water as a heat sink. Either to dump excess heat in summer, or extract it in the winter. People use lakes and ponds for this sort of thing but not usually pools. Mainly because the pool won't be able to dissipate enough of the heat to make it work continuously. The pool would eventually get too hot to be worthwhile (as part of a heat pump situation).

Otherwise ground-source geothermal systems use the year-round constant temperature below as a heat sink (it's around 58F underground around here, year-round). We're putting one in our new house, 3 wells, each 350ft deep. We'll see how it goes. But we're glad not to have three big-ass AC units sitting out in the yard.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulao View Post
thx for all the reply's, ill update the post if I get it working.

"thats certainly a neat idea, but are you saying your pool is not hot enough in the summertime?" - My pool is built at the perfect location so that I hardly get sun during the spring months. Though my house gets plenty of heat. In the middle of summer its not too bad at all.

Sometimes when I think of the idea I wish I had the real estate to make an underground heat farm. The idea of harvesting the warm air all summer and using it in the winter and vice versa. The over all idea of this poring perfectly good hot air in the the wild bothers me.

Think about it. We give heat a way for free but we pay to use a water heater. We pay to heat the pool in some cases and pay to heat the house. Some regions like mid east ( NC for example ) its cold at night warm in the day. You end up with windows open at night and close in the day, effectively using your house to harness temps.
As a pool owner im sure you are aware of the downsides of a hotter pool. at high temps, given the same amount of light algae grows appreciably faster. in the summer im pushing the FC up to 2mg/l and still getting occasional mustardy blooming in un brushed areas. in the winter when the water is around 50-60, i can just leave a single tablet floater in the water without problems for weeks on end.

there is trade off to everything, imo its not worth the added complexity and cost. if i could not get additional light to the pool via tree pruning/ removal, id just get a gas heater.
its worth noting alot of people ive known absolutely hate how warm the pool is at my place, apparently its less refreshing. personally im indifferent.

its worth noting, that pool heating is a super well studied area. there are even air to water heat exchangers that incorporate a massive densely finned radiator that sits in the attic drawing in hot air, and cooling the attic.
even just placing black vinyl sheets on the bottom of your pool will dramatically increase temperatures provided you have direct sunlight. covering the pool with a transparent plastic will do the same. it will also save you tons of fill water obviously. but im sure i don't have to tell you any of this. preaching to the choir.
Queequeg152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #9

Trying to use that existing system to heat the pool is like trying to heat the ocean with a household heater. forgetaboutit. Heating a pool is really an expensive proposition no matter how you look at it. You could end up spending thousands and still not get the desired results.

The least expensive and most reliable way to heat a pool ( especially in FL) is to use a solar cover.

The key to using a solar cover is to purchase a good one and know when to cover and uncover the pool. Always cover each night to hold the heat in the water, the night sucks the heat right out of it.
By the way I am not a pool expert , I don't even own a pool but I know many people that have pools and people that work for pool Companies and hear them talking. Good luck it's only an opinion.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #10

I work on indoor pool systems DECTRON the cadillac of systems.they want the pool water 3 F lower then the air temp surrounding the pool...so people feel warm climbing out of the water