Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

HVAC unit not heating

Hi there. My wife and I just purchased our first house back in May and I'm not too familiar with HVAC units but we're having some issues with ours that I've been looking for some help on.

Our home has four floors and dual zone air. The upstairs bedroom area is ran on one with the unit in the attic and heat pump outside. When it gets really cold, or just lately here in Maryland, the unit does nothing but blow cold air out no matter what. I've tried to use the emergency heat and it does not work either. I only let the emergency heat run for maybe 20 minutes, you can smell it but it still blows cold air out. We've got it set to 65 and it will drop down to high 40s, maybe 50s at night. If I turn the heat all of the way up to 90 degrees, it gets a big warmer but nothing too significant.

When we turn the heat on, the heat pump will turn on for a few minutes but cut off shortly after, and kick on once in awhile but the fan still stays on constantly. We have had some electrical problems (power randomly going out for a few seconds then back on) but I have checked the breaker box in the basement and there appears to be nothing switched 'off.'

I believe the heat pump is a Gibson, and the thermostat is a White-Rodgers. Before we moved in, the previous owners installed all new units so there should not be any issues with age.

Could it be a faulty thermostat or something with the heat pump? We do have baseboard heat throughout the top 2 floors but I am a bit hesitant on using that with the costs as I'm trying to keep my electrical bill as low as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Lace

Lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

HVAC unit not heating

Could be the low pressure switch on the heat pump. Probably worth the $ to have someone check it out. If it's new I'd call the company that installed it and hopefully they won't charge you.

hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

HVAC unit not heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac benny View Post
Could be the low pressure switch on the heat pump. Probably worth the $ to have someone check it out. If it's new I'd call the company that installed it and hopefully they won't charge you.
Only problem is I have no idea who installed it But it's looking like I will have to have someone come out soon. Cant continue sleeping with it being that cold up here. At least we've got a heated mattress pad

If it matters, it's all electric.

Last edited by Lace; 01-03-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

HVAC unit not heating

Try the previous owners, or their real estate agent, or your real estate agent. You may have to dig a bit, or you may have to pay someone.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote