HVAC Troubleshooting - No Power? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HVAC troubleshooting - no power?

Hoping someone could point me in the right direction. At the end of last Fall our A/C went out. The compressors wouldn't start up. What's odd is that we have a two zone, two compressor system and both went out at the same time.

Blowers start up inside the house (not sure of the term but we have forced air) but the two compressors outside just won't start up.

Checked the breakers and seems good but that's the extent of my HVAC knowledge

Before I call an expert in, what should I check? Depending on what the problem is I might be calling an electrician or our local HVAC company?

Tom

Advertisement

tomn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

breakers in main panel...... dissconect swiches by the condensing units outside.

Advertisement

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,100

look for chewed through low voltage wires out by the condensers, and check to make sure you have high voltage to the condenser.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
REP

Because you said it was workibng and then it stopped,I would suspect that one of you pressure switches is open and saving your compressors from working with no freon.
It could be something else but that is where I would start to check.
It sounds like you have a very top end unit and it is probably best to have a trained high tech service man work on it so that you don't do something that will make matters worse.
If you don't have anyone to call,then look for a service rated NATE service guy.NATE certifies either install techs or service techs there is a differance.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'll start there and post back what I've found. The more I think about it, with two units stopping at the same time, I don't think it can be both loosing freon or both having their wires chewed through.

I'm thinking something at the breaker panel or on the way there. Going to pick up a electric volt meter (heard a simple light meter won't work well for 220) and see if I have power at that fuse block that you can pull out and see if I have power there?
tomn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomn68 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'll start there and post back what I've found. The more I think about it, with two units stopping at the same time, I don't think it can be both loosing freon or both having their wires chewed through.

I'm thinking something at the breaker panel or on the way there. Going to pick up a electric volt meter (heard a simple light meter won't work well for 220) and see if I have power at that fuse block that you can pull out and see if I have power there?
good start be carefull

Advertisement

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote