Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |

HVAC system

I purchased a home where the HVAC system is missing.. It likley needs some duct work is missing to..

What do i need to know when looking for a unit.. Is this a DIY project?
childers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #2

HVAC system

Quote:
Originally Posted by childers2 View Post
I purchased a home where the HVAC system is missing.. It likley needs some duct work is missing to..

I installed 2 HVAC systems in my own house. It is not a DIY project. My advice it to get a manual d analysis run. This will give you a correct size for heating and AC.
DIY_HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Experienced

HVAC system

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_HVAC View Post
I installed 2 HVAC systems in my own house. It is not a DIY project. My advice it to get a manual d analysis run. This will give you a correct size for heating and AC.
I am truly confused....DIY_HVAC is saying that HVAC is not DIY?

Is DIY_HVAC a proffessional or a DIY'r.....just a question?

My opinion anything is DIY depending on the determination, ability to research and then ask the right questions after the research.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #4

HVAC system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
I am truly confused....DIY_HVAC is saying that HVAC is not DIY?

Is DIY_HVAC a proffessional or a DIY'r.....just a question?

My opinion anything is DIY depending on the determination, ability to research and then ask the right questions after the research.
I agree. I'm not a pro but I did it myself and it is a lot of work. I may have saved $4k (2 systems) but took up a lot of time. Advantage is I'll almost never need to call a service tech to fix my system.

If you want I can give you the details. Quick summary is you will need ~$1000 of tools you will never use again. You will screw something up and that is extra. I did.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
Experienced

HVAC system

Quote:
I agree. I'm not a pro but I did it myself and it is a lot of work. I may have saved $4k (2 systems) but took up a lot of time. Advantage is I'll almost never need to call a service tech to fix my system.

If you want I can give you the details. Quick summary is you will need ~$1000 of tools you will never use again. You will screw something up and that is extra. I did.
1K for tools sounds rather high.

Last edited by Jackofall1; 02-02-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

HVAC system

Quote:
Originally Posted by childers2 View Post

A Manual J is a heat loss and gain calc, which will tell you what size/capacity heating and or cooling units you need. Manual D will tell you what friction rate to use with a slide duculator to size your duct.

There are people that can rebuild an engine themselves, and there are people that can't change a spark plug. The former will have no trouble replacing a fuel pump, and them latter wouldn't know how to turn the socket. How mechanically inclined you are determines what you can do.

Best to start out by determining what how much time you want to put into doing it yourself, and if that is enough time.

Then a load calc, pick out and get teh equipment, then proper duct sizing.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #7

HVAC system

Quote:
1K for tools sounds rather high.
Actually it is pretty low. I was able to get a set of torches from Craigslist for 150 and came with brazing rods fittings and other stuff. I bought a vacuum pump new for 200. New set of hoses and a bottle of 410a was 250. Can't use my old r22 hoses. Purge kit to flush old oil 150 with chemical. I think I could use acetone. Micron vacuum gauge 150.

So we are at 900 and there were other things if i think about it.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Experienced

HVAC system

Quote:
Actually it is pretty low. I was able to get a set of torches from Craigslist for 150 and came with brazing rods fittings and other stuff. I bought a vacuum pump new for 200. New set of hoses and a bottle of 410a was 250. Can't use my old r22 hoses. Purge kit to flush old oil 150 with chemical. I think I could use acetone. Micron vacuum gauge 150.

So we are at 900 and there were other things if i think about it.
Well when I look at DIY for a project like that, I try to weigh what I can do without buying things I would never use again, personally I would have hired out the top off of the system after everything was set in place, I guess you didn't weigh out spending the $$$ for your own equipment and having it done by a tech.

To me buying that much equipment say for $1K as opposed to hiring a tech for $150-$200 would have been a real easy decision. I don't have that much $$ to throw away on 1 time use things, guess you could always sell what you aren't going to use for .5 on the $1.

Mark

Last edited by Jackofall1; 02-03-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #9

HVAC system

Quote:
Well when I look at DIY for a project like that, I try to weigh what I can do without buying things I would never use again, personally I would have hired out the top off of the system after everything was set in place, I guess you didn't weigh out spending the $$$ for your own equipment and having it done by a tech.

To me buying that much equipment say for $1K as opposed to hiring a tech for $150-$200 would have been a real easy decision. I don't have that much $$ to throw away on 1 time use things, guess you could always sell what you aren't going to use for .5 on the $1.

Mark
The special equipment is for cleaning, evacuating, brazing and charging the system. I've heard you can get it done for $500 or so but the techs don't like to do it. They won't give you a warranty so there they may not do as good a job. Real downside to DIY is warranty could be an issue.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
Still Learning

HVAC system

Warranty is an issue. If you install hvac equipement without a valid hvac comtractors license for your state, the manufacturers warranty will be voided. Even if you are a general contractor you must possess a valid hvac contractors license.
thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote