Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Share |

Hvac runs hot air sometimes, should be cold.

Ok, I will start with the particulars. Purchased around 2003. After 1st year, someone replaced the Main breakers on outside wall (outdoors). Anyhow "Heil" 220 Volts... 23.8 amps... max fuse 35...compressor = RLA 16.1...I-RA 59...CAP 35/370...CC heater N/A....unit size PHF024HPFM24
Then, on inside panel says "Internal Comfort Products" Lewisburg TN. (I am in TN. too) ICP model PHF024K000E----....Serial # G034150765....R-22... 1: 4.8 lbs...
SYMPTOMS: Thermostat is set to 76, finally warms up enough during the day for it to kick on around 11 am. From about 11 am to 2 pm everything is fine. Then about 2pm each day, I come in from out side, and can just feel that it's just not quite cold enough. I look at thermostat and sure enough it says anywhere from 77-80* inside temp, and air at the vents are hot. I have done a few things (this is happening everday for past 4 days) as in shutting unit off for 20 minutes, then back on. One time it took about 5 minutes to come on (after shutdown, wait 20 minutes, reboot) I waited for it to "click" after about 5 minutes, it finally clicked. So things were happenin, as in system came on, (but no outside hot air fan turning), AFTER ABOUT 1 MINUTE, I hear another click, but outside hot air fan wasn't spinning, so I slapped it with a screwdriver, and BAM, fan cranks on good, blowing hot air in my face outside. I come inside, air vents blowing cold air. 1-1 1/2 hours later, inside house is cooled down SOME. Look at thermostat, says 77* (I have it set on 76*) and again, blowing out hot air.
I have done this little dance with this thing for 4 days now, and now I need to get serious about fixing it, before it gets to hot. Mechanic, and electronic technician here, but no clue how to fix HVAC. Any suggestions welcome.
OH OH OH--Drunk neighbor #1 and other drunk neighbor # 2 have said this about it- Both of them think it's got something to do with the reversing coil, or reversing switch and or relay? And or the timing circuit.
Thank you all for reading.

jdavlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #2

When hot air comes out is the outdoor condenser fan running? If not there is your problem. That is a fairly straightforward fix. Do not run the unit without that outside fan on, it will damage the compressor.

wheelsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

Sometimes the big fan is running, but hot air coming out. Sometimes not running, hot air coming out. Every time I catch system running, but big fan not running, I shut the whole thing down for a bit. 1 time (today) I was standing there, system came up and started running. 1 minute later, I heard ANOTHER click (almost same click sound as system coming on), anyhow, I heard that click, system was running, but big fan didn't turn. So I counted to about 20, fan still not on. So I thumped fan with long screwdriver, and BAM, fan started runnung---run indoors, cold air starting to come in.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #4

Looks like you have a capacitor problem. check your capacitor first (i put a new one in anyway, since they are cheap), if that does not fix your problem, then check the fan motor.
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

FULL DISCLOSURE HERE---Oops, I just remembered, 2 weeks ago when this was an intermittent problem, I took the fan apart. I put fan back together, and I lubed it with "marine grease", normal grease, but waterproof. After reading thru 9 year old instructions/how to install manual, I noticed it said to lube the bearings on the blower motor (different than 1 i'm working on), it said to lube it with 10w-40 motor oil. oops.

Last night before bed, system came on as expected, but that condenser fan motor was SCREAMING. So I shut it down for the night. Went out this morning, and tore fan apart again. Re-lubed with 10w-40 oil, and now it spins really fast/good.

I believe what started this 2 weeks ago, was capacitor, didn't have enough "oooomph" to kick that fan on, so I lubed it (improperly). I will write back on here in 5-7 hours from right now, after heat of the day passes, and will let ya'll know if it worked out ok......Again, Thanks for reading.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Could jut be a bad defrost stat. those fan motors are not made to be serviced.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #7

Well, here we are, about 7 hours later. (8pm) And the little SOB is running fine. I do believe that 2nd lube job I did was what sent it over to the good side. Both fan motor bearings had those little "cloth wicks" in there. So I loaded them up with 10w-40, and all is well, for now. Will write again 24 hours from now, hopefully with no other issues. I have watched 3 times today, that fan kick on, and I can tell a difference. Thanks all. Cheers!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #8

Well, there you go. All is fine, AFTER lubing those bearings with 10w-40. Thanks for all suggestions!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #9

great! glad to hear that! but you are gonna be back here asking more questions. lubing the the motor with 10w-40 is just temporary.

Mr.HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote