HVAC Return Vents In Sunroom? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

HVAC return vents in sunroom?

I was walking around the house the other day and I noticed that all of the rooms have return HVAC vents except for the bathrooms, kitchen and sunroom. I know the bathrooms and kitchen aren't supposed to (at least Im pretty sure they aren't). But is there any reason a sun room wouldn't?

Theres two supply floor vents in that room on the same western wall, but no return. The sunroom connect to the kitchen, but I wonder if adding a return in that room would make the air flow better. Since the room itself faces west and has lots of windows (plus 4 skylights), it gets awfully warm in the summer. I keep thinking that perhaps a stacked (floor upper and lower setup) would allow for better movement of the air. That way I could open the open return vent in the summer, and open the bottom one in the winter.

And if I'm correct, how hard is it to install a return vent in the wall?

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Wiscbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

also your going to pull that HOT sunroom back to the unit might of been the reason there are none....last thing you want is a higher return which the new vents will cause...

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,700

How hard varies with the wall construction.

If your system is short on return, then you will notice a big difference.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies..

@biggles..(or any other hvac experts) ..So do I want a return in that room, or not? The nearest return for that area is in the hallway on the other side of the kitchen, or in the living room adjacent the kitchen.

It would seem to me that right now the warm air is being pulled from the sunroom and kitchen into the other living areas. Wouldnt pulling that hot air out and back into the return to the a/c system be better for cooling the house, especially on that side?

As far as the installation.. the wall where I'd like to put the return vent, theres nothing in it (hollow cavity). The space in the cavity going up to the attic has been sealed. Below it I have a straight path in between the floor joists to the return main trunk.

So, ...can I cut a hole into the wall cavity, cut a hole through the floor, install a upper and lower vent into the wall, cut and install an elbow at the main return trunk, and run duct from under the floor inside the floor joists connecting the floor vent and trunk elbow?

The goal is to improve the air flow circulation and cooling in both the sunroom and attached kitchen area.. wouldnt adding this return solve that problem?

Thoughts?..Concerns?....
Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Adding a return will help. No sense pulling that heat through the kitchen like it is.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
HOTDAWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Adding a return will help. No sense pulling that heat through the kitchen like it is.
I agree
I just finished doing the same thing for a family member who wanted to join the sunroom to the house, duct wise
Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscbldr View Post
Thanks for the replies..

@biggles..(or any other hvac experts) ..So do I want a return in that room, or not? The nearest return for that area is in the hallway on the other side of the kitchen, or in the living room adjacent the kitchen.

It would seem to me that right now the warm air is being pulled from the sunroom and kitchen into the other living areas. Wouldnt pulling that hot air out and back into the return to the a/c system be better for cooling the house, especially on that side?

As far as the installation.. the wall where I'd like to put the return vent, theres nothing in it (hollow cavity). The space in the cavity going up to the attic has been sealed. Below it I have a straight path in between the floor joists to the return main trunk.

So, ...can I cut a hole into the wall cavity, cut a hole through the floor, install a upper and lower vent into the wall, cut and install an elbow at the main return trunk, and run duct from under the floor inside the floor joists connecting the floor vent and trunk elbow?

The goal is to improve the air flow circulation and cooling in both the sunroom and attached kitchen area.. wouldnt adding this return solve that problem?

Thoughts?..Concerns?....
I'd probably use 2 wall cavities, get as much return as you can in that room, without drawing kitchen heat/odors into it.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #8

Last night I opened up the wall to start the project. I discovered that there was electrical within the cavity. I moved one of the wires over enough that I have an open floor to ceiling area within the cavity. But because I have some electrical within and can't property seal the cavity, Im going to have to use sheet metal vs sealing it off and using the entire cavity.

So.. the first question I have is, does anyone have a link, or know of a 90 degree oval tee wye that I can use at the floor boot area? I'd like to have dual registers (top and bottom) so I can open and shut the bottom register based on the seasons. (ex: when the bottom is open, it closes off the top.) But to get that to work, Id have to have a tee wye at the bottom area.

My plan is to install the high register, have oval sheet metal duct coming down to a tee wye (if I can find one), at the floor boot register, then have it go under the floor, turning and running under the floor till I get to the return trunk.

The only problem though is that when searching I havent been able to find an oval 90 degree tee wye to make this dual vent setup work. So if anyone knows of a product or link, let me know. If I cant find one, then I may just install the upper one and skip the lower one since its the heat thats the issue.

Thoughts, comments.. links to a 90 degree oval tee wye?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

A #150 stack head with collar is what you want. Southwark manufacturing makes them. Probably other companies too.

Advertisement