HVAC Plans For Remodel - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

HVAC plans for remodel

Hi hvac guys,

I am planning to remodel the top floor of my home. I am going to contract it myself. I am in the design phase and want to get started in April sometime.

I have a couple of questions.

I'll be tearing old walls down and putting new ones up. Registers will need to be moved. How do I get hvac plans together for this? Can an architect do this or can I call an hvac shop and have them look at my plans and help me relocate appropriately?

I think I will also need to have some calcs done for make-up air. I'll be installing a 48" gas rangetop which they say requires a 1000cfm vent. Seems a little high to me, but that in addition to a couple of gas fireplaces I'll be adding may mean I need to think about make-up air. I also need this info included in my permit application. Is that something an hvac shop will do beforehand? Can I do that part myself?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

HVAC plans for remodel

Hi wease

Its always best to have a repituable HVAC company size up duct and at least give you direction on relocation. Alot of good company's will be willing to do this for you for free or at a minimal charge. The ones that do the calculations for you or give you pointers for free are banking on you coming to them in the future for parts and supplies. If you have one like this, reciprocate the favor they have given.

Good luck
Rusty

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #3

HVAC plans for remodel

I called around a little yesterday and was surprised to hear contractors talk about the size of the range I'm putting in. One guy said he'd have to put me in touch with their commercial division. This is a range they sell in all of the stores. It's in a lot of the higher end new homes they're building these days.

I have 5,000 sq feet of living space and because of that I would think that a 1000cfm fan should be ok to use without makeup air.

Just going through the learning process here and looking for the truthful answers. My city inspector said I don't even need to put a fan in if I didn't want to. If I do, then they need to work on calcs for makeup air.
wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

HVAC plans for remodel

Hi wease theres a number of ways to go about the new design that will work .Its a little tough without seeing the job or plans.Ive always tried to run your ducts to the outer perimeters of your rooms and dump the air distribution where you get the most heat gain.Another thing is that you want to make sure if your relocating ducts than make sure that the length and size will still deliver the amount of cfm desired to cool the area.A good HVAC co should be able to reccomend a way to maximize your performance.Like it was posted,they will help you but will want to back up there reccomendations by being granted the work.Thats whats nice when a "plan comes together" and you get to see your end results! ohhh yaaa!
1mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote