Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HVAC in out Condo

Hi all. I have a few questions. 1-4 but, wanted to give the facts first.

We are ina 900 sqft Condo in the North Eastern US. It is on the first floor and there is a crawl space below and another unit above. It is near the water (salt) as the canal 50 from the back deck. I plan on upgrading the old HVAC unit since it is the original and 30 years old before 2010.

The Unit is a dual functioning unit Gas heat and AC in one.
"Climatrol" by Mueller Climatrol Corp

It is located in a shed butted up against our Condo.

The size of the return vent is 18x24.
1. Is this a standard size or not common anymore??
My wife had to special order filters for this size (slightly smaller) as she was told it was not a comumon or standard any more. I was not involved and she just paid the $ and ordered them.

The wall that the return vent is on is being repaired due to tenrmite damage but not at my expense. The wall was reframed but before they continue with tape, spackle. I figured I would resize the opening and purchase a new vent cover. I also figured that I would want to do with consideration of accodating a new unit even though I have not idea what that will be.
2. What a standard size would be that is appropriate for a new dual unit that would cover 900sqft?

3. What are some Model units that would be correct for this home stetting and qualify for the 30% gov energy rebate that expires in 2010.

I also wanted to point out that the HVAC is on a 30 amp two phase breaker. I was considering making some upgrades to the electic since the bathroom trips when the hairdryer is on.
Also, the HVAC unit won't start (it has a hard starter in it) and sometimes we have to trip the breaker to start it. The wiring in the condo is aluminum.

4. Is there anything to consider in relation to a new HVAC and what I might need the electrican to do while he is here?

John
Attached Thumbnails
HVAC in out Condo-hva.jpg  

Last edited by Jzone99; 11-15-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Jzone99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,380

HVAC in out Condo

Check all the wiring connections in the main panel and if possible replace all of it. There have been MANY fires due to aluminum wiring. It naturally comes loose as it is a very soft material. Also gets corroded and loose. Loose connections arc/spark, get hot and can start fires. Illegal to use in Canada for housing as we had LOTS of problems with it in the late 70`s.

Last edited by yuri; 11-15-2009 at 04:38 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #3

HVAC in out Condo

Yes of course. Aluminum is not allowed in the states either but my condo was built in 71 so, it was not changed.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,788

HVAC in out Condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzone99 View Post
Yes of course. Aluminum is not allowed in the states either but my condo was built in 71 so, it was not changed.
Aluminum is still legal in the USA. And is what is running to your electric meter. And from your electric meter to your panel box.

If your HVAC unit is a self contained thru the wall like I think it is. Then your gille is simply cut into the wall. So you can use a 20X24 grille.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #5

HVAC in out Condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Aluminum is still legal in the USA. And is what is running to your electric meter. And from your electric meter to your panel box.

If your HVAC unit is a self contained thru the wall like I think it is. Then your gille is simply cut into the wall. So you can use a 20X24 grille.

Good to know about the Aluminium... I was only thinking from the panel to my outlets and fixtures and not the utility end. Ha...but it has to come from some where.
Yes, through the wall a very short duct and on the otherside is the u.nit. So from what you saying 20x24 is standard and I should cut the wall to that size. And this would be good for a comparable new one I am getting.
Will an newer unit use less electricity?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

HVAC in out Condo

If the duct isn't ran up to the grille, yes. If its ran up to the grille. You'll have to make a slight alteration to the duct.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #7

HVAC in out Condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
If the duct isn't ran up to the grille, yes. If its ran up to the grille. You'll have to make a slight alteration to the duct.
well....the Duct runs right up to the grill. So. before I plyback the duct and reframe I wanted to be certain of the size that is standard for the new unit.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #8

HVAC in out Condo

I also figured that I would run a new duct when the new unit comes in. I just wanted to finish the wall the correct size since it involves, taping, spakling and painting.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

HVAC in out Condo

You can check to see what size air filters your local stores carry. Any size larger then the current 18X24 will work.
20X24 is a common size in most places.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

HVAC in out Condo

For a ton and a half 16x25 is plenty.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:28 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

HVAC in out Condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
For a ton and a half 16x25 is plenty.
20X24, or 16X25, which ever is easiest for him to make in his wall. And that he can find filters for at his local stores.