Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

HVAC options for very small cabin/shack

We need to add a quick building at a remote property to lay our head when we are on site. The main focus of this project is fast and cheap. Approx SF will be 500 to include 2 bed, 1bath, and kitchen/living area. I am looking for a simple and economical way to heat/cool it. We will have 200A of electric on site, no nat gas, but could have propane. However, in comparing costs of propane and electric per BTU, and the fact that we will not run it more than maybe 1-2days/mo, electric seems the wiser choice.

A heat pump setup is obviousy better for heat but not sure if the cost will be offset. Resistive baseboard heats seem too expensive and too much work for what you get. I was really considering a system where the evap and condenser are built together and you just add ducting (not sure what you call them). I have also considered the basic window unit with built in resistive heating. I would prefer some minor ducting to make sure the rooms stay comfortable but no need to go nuts here.

Ideas?

viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

A hotel type unit (PTAC) make sure heat pump version. No ducts to run to other rooms but cheapest

turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #3

If it it does not get too cold for heat pumps, how about heat pump window units? After Katrina, I rented an apartment with two of them as the whole heat source. They worked fine if you think that window units are fine.
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #4

I would not be suprised to find out they now make heat pump window units. I have never seen one or heard of one. i know they have window units that heat and cool but they are heating with electric heating coils not heat pump.

Last edited by turnermech; 07-25-2012 at 08:48 PM.
turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

BARD makes HP units used in construction trailers...and i remember there were window unit heat pumps back in the 80s before the ductless happened
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Special User

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnermech View Post
I would not be suprised to find out they now make heat pump window units. I have never seen one or heard of one. i know they have window units that heat and cool but they are heating with electric heating coils not heat pump.
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I had the same experience -- window-size heat pumps are incredibly rare. I know I'm too late to help the OP, but for anyone Googling this, I finally found one and just installed it: Amana's "AH" series. They have A/C and heat pump modes, as well as emergency resistance heat as a backup for when it's too cold outside. Note, the AH series all appear to require 240V.

I've only had mine for two days, but so far it works great as a heat pump.