||06-02-2008 05:26 PM
HVAC Question: Adding finished space in what was originally the attic, the central HVAC unit is in the attic (2 ton unit) and feeds the rooms below it. I'm looking at cooling this space only as we live in Jacksonville, FL and my heating needs are modest at best.
My three options as I see them:
1. Install 1-2 Window box AC units, 30 amp service is prewired from date of construction. Would prefer not to put in these window box units for astetics (looks).
2. Modify approach #1 with these Portable AC units, which still need a window to vent (as I understand it).
3. Speak with a HVAC contractor to see if he can modify the existing system and allow this area to be cooled only when needed. Current system is wired with a thermostat for the first floor area, total space it currently heats and cools is about 1200 SF on the first floor.
Attic is now well insulated, R-30 insulation in roof. Looking at cooling approximately 1200 SF in the attic area.
1. Welcome ideas as to most cost effective approach, both short and long term given cooling costs.
2. Welcome feedback on the Portable AC units, have not been able to find good recommendations on those. Consumer reports only rates traditional window box units, given what I found on their website.
3. Would welcome any ideas-
Thanks in advance-