Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #1

Share |

HVAC and Joist Blocking Question

Hello. I am a new member here but have used this website for reference many times. Thanks in advance for your help!
I am designing/modeling my future home and I have a simple question in regards to joists blocking and hvac branch lines from the plenum. If you look at the attached snapshot my proposed routing is to have the plenum run on the backside of the girder and the branch connections to be taken from the top of the plenum, run over top of the girder and between the joists to the register locations. The 2006 IRC code book states this:

"Section R502.7 Lateral restraint at supports. Joists shall be supported latterally at the ends by full-depth solid blocking not less than 2 inches nominal in thickness; or by attachment to a full-depth header, band or rim joist, or to an adjoining stud or shall be otherwise provided with lateral support to prevent rotation."

My framing book also states to use solid wood blocking above the girder. Now my question is can I leave blocking out where the branch connection will go over the girder...or perhaps slide the blocking back to clear the ductwork. This option will not provide blocking directly over the girder however. The current spec house I live in is 28ft deep and has no blocking over the girder...built in 2005. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

bassprokd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Where do you live? Codes and our techs expertise varies from State to State and Country. What is legal and done in one may be verboten in another.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Licensed Master Plumber

Generally the answer is no because not blocking violates fire code. But you should check with your building inspector.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #4

I am located in Hagerstown, MD. Officials go by the 2006 IRC. I may end up having to give the code officials a call.

Last edited by bassprokd; 02-25-2010 at 11:05 AM.
bassprokd is offline   Reply With Quote