HVAC Issue - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HVAC issue

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to homeowning. I just bought an older home last week in fact. My HVAC issue is that the air/heat vent in my sons room won't blow and it's FREEZING in there. All other vents blow and it's fine. What can I do without calling a repair tech-I don't have the money right now to pay for repairs.

Thanks for any help!
Heather

Advertisement

Hkarp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

HVAC issue

Go look for a damper shut, or something shoved into the vent from the bedroom keeping air from flowing into it.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

HVAC issue

Thanks! Theres no damper thingie-it's an old vent the circular ones that look like bullseyes. I tried to take it off but the previous owner painted over it and its kinda stuck to the ceiling. But I did use a flashlight and saw that there was nothing blocking the duct.
Hkarp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

HVAC issue

From the basement, if ductwork is exposed, try to find a duct branch that could go to that bedroom. If you see any that have been disconnected, that's the problem. If it's an A/C or heat system from the attic, then that's where to start. It may even have fallen off and you're heating your attic.

With no louver adjustment, previous room occupant may have decided they like it colder and disconnected on purpose but probably never closed the door.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

HVAC issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkarp79 View Post
Thanks! Theres no damper thingie-it's an old vent the circular ones that look like bullseyes. I tried to take it off but the previous owner painted over it and its kinda stuck to the ceiling. But I did use a flashlight and saw that there was nothing blocking the duct.
If you don't want to get a repair person, you'll need to do more then look at it with a flashlight. You have 2 choices, get more hands on or call someone who knows what they're doing.
Where is this duct running? In the attic? Between floors?
If it's in the attic, go up there and find the duct. Maybe it's disconnected. Maybe the damper is closed. Maybe the duct was removed.
Find and trace the duct. There's probably a main duct in the attic and branches to each of the rooms.
Access to the attic could be in a closet.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote