Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

HVAC install from last year, Help with Chimney, lost closets

Hello,

Some of you may have read about our HVAC install from last winter. We did a complete tear out and better planned duct work.

Anyways, we were forced to give up our first floor closet (bedroom) and second floor closet (bathroom). It wasn't done well, and I'm considering bringing in a second HVAC company to improve the duct work yet again; but I wanted to run the idea by here, especially since I will be doing the framing/etc before redoing the bed/bath.

The duct work runs to the attic from the basement, supply and return. They run parallel to the chimney. I have tried to re-layout these rooms to have closets; as they need them. With no luck.

So my idea is to remove the chimney. It is only used by the hot water heater; which I could direct vent outside??? The supply and return could then be moved over to the chimney's location?

I'm hoping to get some feedback on the possibility and any pitfall warnings. I would have the chimney removal, roofing and duct work done professionally. I would then be able to resume my bed/bath projects.

Any help is appreciated!!

coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Work Hard, Play Harder

Bump.

Any input on this?

Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #3

Does the water heater use a type B vent? That might be problematic venting out the side. The pros here could tell you if that is even possible in code. Also would need thimbles to keep the vent the required minimum distance from combustibles.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

here in pa you can not vent a draft hood appliance to the side wall of a dwelling it is not legal or to code, If you are going to remove chimney then I would install a power vented heater that vents out side wall with pvc pipe which passes code...

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 10-29-2011 at 07:42 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
Work Hard, Play Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
here in pa you can not vent a draft hood appliance to the side wall of a dwelling it is not legal or to code, If you are going to remove chimney then I would install a power vented heater that vents out side wall with pvc pipe which passes code...
What if I switched over to a tankless water heater?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
What if I switched over to a tankless water heater?

With tankless you'll most likely have to up-size your gas line, maybe even your whole gas system and meter. There are power vented water heaters like ben's plumbing said, and there are also water heaters that are just like regular water heaters, but instead of power venters, they use a concentric vent that can go out the side wall, just like a fireplace. I've installed a few, but I don't recall who made them. A little googling may turn something up if I don't remember the name.

Edit: found a link to the manual: http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/...als/45839C.pdf

Last edited by hvac benny; 10-29-2011 at 11:31 PM.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote