DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

HVAC humidifier issue

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rfjm58 
#1 ·
I recently installed a Carrier Infinity 96 LP HVAC system. During the quoting phase I decided to install a air exchange unit because the renovation was going to make the house pretty tight. the salesman mentioned I probably would not need a humidifier. It was my fault for not checking the quote so the unit was installed w/o it. I decided I wanted to have one so they installed a flow thru Aprilaire 600 unit. I've had some issues like I haven't heard the air exchanger operating even when the system says it is suposed to be on. Regardless of other issues right now I am running on only the master zone of a 2 zone system. The outlets & most of the returns are blocked in the unfinished additions. The original 900 s/f house is the only area being heated at this time and this is concidered the master zone (zone 2 is disabled). With all controls set for anywhere from 30%-40% humidity the house this winter never went above 20% - 25% @ any outside temp (20 - 50 degrees). I check the humidifier and it was operating whenever the Infinity system requested. I talked to Aprilaire & they said the air temp needs to be 120 degree or better or use a hot water supply. Hot water was not an option. I find the plenum temp @ to be no higher than 100 degrees +/- at any given time (I haven't contacted Carrier about this yet). I did a flow comparison test on the humidifier and it seems to consume 2oz or less in 1.5 minutes, so it is using water. (Although I am troubled by the waste, a different issue). I also did a test by running a vaporizer in the house with an immediate humidity increase. I am @ a loss where to go. Any advice/suggestions will be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
You have a tight house, you said that your self........so your heater is not running very often. The ONLY time that your aprilaire 600 is doing any humidifacation is when the humidistat is calling for humidity and the furnace is running in the heating mode.

Your furnace simply does not run enough to keep the level at your desired level. You need (and you already have you said) suplimental humidifacation.

#3 ·
At this stage the house isn't tight. Insulation & sheetrock are not up in the additions. The furnace does run a fair amount. This is why I have the unfinished areas are closed off. It is a balmy 52 degrees today so I did a plenum temp test again & it's running around 130 degrees. The humidifier has been set for 45% on manual mode in the thermostat settings for quite some time & the indoor humidity is 31%. Since the heating season is coming to a close, I think until I get construction more completed I will have the HVAC outfit give me a letter of guarantee that the himidifier will work properly next year.

#4 ·
I think until I get construction more completed I will have the HVAC outfit give me a letter of guarantee that the himidifier will work properly next year.

They will laugh at you if you ask them that............

The ONLY time that your aprilaire 600 is doing any humidifacation is when the humidistat is calling for humidity and the furnace is running in the heating mode.
Maybe you missed that part so here you go again.

1 other thing.........on the infinitys the humidifier I think is supposed to be controled by the main board on the furnace, not a humidistat.....if you are using the infinity control.

#5 ·
The humidifier is hooked up through the infinity system. I runs all the time when called for. I need to check to see if the infinity system is supposed to run blower only for adding humidity when heat is not needed. The one thing I have over the installer is money. The job is not complete at this time. Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.