Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

HVAC - FAN wires - Where do I connect Black wire from FAN to HVAC electric board?!

My YORK HVAC (Model #: B188060A06A; SN: NAGM00357) has a FAN Motor which comes with 4 wires: Black, Purple, Brown and Green. All wires are hooked on my AC, but the Black one. Where do I have to put this on?

Here is the HVAC Electric Diagram: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8771450...n/photostream/

Short history of how I got to this situation:

As the AC was running cool, the AC or FAN engines start making a noise as if it tried to stop and restart and stop and restart (it will never stop completely). I stopped the whole thing as I didn't want it to blow out.

First intuition was that the GE Capacitor (PN#: 024-25912-000) was no longer holding power as it should, so I replaced it; Issue not resolved;
Second thing done was replacing the Contactor or Relay (PN#: 024-25834-000); As I was replacing the wires one by one, I'm not sure how it happened, but the FAN Black wire was loosen already. I realized that after I was done with all wiring at the contactor. Contactor is good to go - as I was following the picture I took on my phone.

Now the FAN won't start at all - AC is fine, but the FAN. I noticed the Defrost Temperature control electric board (PN: 031-01268-000) had 2 open pins and I thought this FAN BLACK wire will be ok there. It wasn't - It burned some board integrate.

Help?! If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for taking your time to read through my posted question.

Last edited by kindn3ss; 09-26-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Added Electric Diagram
kindn3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 8

HVAC - FAN wires - Where do I connect Black wire from FAN to HVAC electric board?!

Black wire from motor to defrost board relay, from defrost board relay to opposite side of contactor that the capacitor's common is connected to.

pics of wiring always help us to help you.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
kindn3ss (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #3

hi, beenthere... I'm sorry - I might sound stupid, but am not a geek with electronics. Where is that defrost board relay?

I very appreciate the time you took to answer my question. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Post pic of your board. Then I can tell you better. You may have one of hr older Yorkguard boards.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Post pic of your board. Then I can tell you better. You may have one of hr older Yorkguard boards.

I'm sorry for the quality of the camera. Didn't know is going to be that bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4TaK...&feature=g-upl

First time posting a video...
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Should go to the terminal marked cond. If we're talking about the outside an motor. Relay on board may not be working.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Should go to the terminal marked cond. If we're talking about the outside an motor. Relay on board may not be working.
That COND pin I referred on the video is on the Defrost Board.

If you refer to Delay as the contactor that I replaced, do you still believe Relay is the issue?!

Tomorrow I should have the new Defrost Board come through mail. I'll replace it and hook the black wire to it, and let you know its outcome.

You're truly amazing for trying to help me. I very appreciate it!

Last edited by kindn3ss; 09-26-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Replaced "e-mail" with "mail".
Old 09-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

The defrost board is the control for the condense fan on heat pumps. Since it ran when connected to teh contactor. Sounds like defrost board is the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
kindn3ss (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #9

Quote:
The defrost board is the control for the condense fan on heat pumps. Since it ran when connected to teh contactor. Sounds like defrost board is the problem.

I will get back to you hopefully by the end of this day, when hopefully I'll enjoy the newly fresh AC. LOL

Again, my respects toward you - beenthere!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindn3ss View Post
I will get back to you hopefully by the end of this day, when hopefully I'll enjoy the newly fresh AC. LOL

Again, my respects toward you - beenthere!

I've replaced the defrost board, and placed the black wire on the COND pin of this board. Fan won't start. Should the fan start immediately, or we should wait... I let the HVAC run for 10 minutes, and the FAN didn't kick in.

Again, if I connect the FAN Motor black wire directly to the THICK BLACK POWER CORD pin, fan starts with no issues. But it'll run 24/7. It'll never stop. AC works - as cold air comes in the house, but when the AC stops, the FAN still runs.

I've added Electric diagram on top of the page, where my initial post was added. Hopefully this will help better...

Thank you!

P.S! Am I allowed to send you private message? If so - how would I do that?

Last edited by kindn3ss; 09-26-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Ok. You have a black wire from the contactor running to the one terminal of the condenser fan relay, and then the black wire of the condenser fan motor running to the other terminal. Right?

You need to have I believe 20 post before PM ability is enabled. Then you just click on my user name, and in the window will be a tab to send a PM to me.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Ok. You have a black wire from the contactor running to the one terminal of the condenser fan relay, and then the black wire of the condenser fan motor running to the other terminal. Right?

You need to have I believe 20 post before PM ability is enabled. Then you just click on my user name, and in the window will be a tab to send a PM to me.

There are 2 black wires that we're addressing here:

1. A thin black wire going from T1 pin on the Contactor that goes to the FAN Pin on the Fan Relay Board (I assume you refer Defrost Board, right?);
2. A thicker black wire that's coming from the FAN motor and goes directly to the COND pin on the Fan Relay (Condenser).

I added another video: - for you to see better.

I hope it makes sense.

Last edited by kindn3ss; 09-27-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Its wired right.

Not to be insulting, but are you sure you didn't put the old board back in(I've done worse).

The black wire from the contactor that runs to the defrost board. make sure it isn't bad.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Its wired right.

Not to be insulting, but are you sure you didn't put the old board back in(I've done worse).

The black wire from the contactor that runs to the defrost board. make sure it isn't bad.

I will replace the wire and let you know.

Thanks...
Old 09-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindn3ss View Post
I will replace the wire and let you know.

Thanks...
This is now resolved. I have taken wires out, clean them and fasten their legs. Mantled them back on their pins, cleaned the fan wires also and Voila - we are back in business.

I have turn the Fan in ON position on thermostat and it turned on. I switched ON TO AUTO for Fan... And ever since, the whole HVAC runs according to thermostat controlled temperature. Cold air feels good.

Thank you Beenthere for all your patience. If you can, PM me as I would like to show you my gratitude for your support. You are one of a kind of people who really need to be supported. Over 200 reviews on all forums, you tube,... Where i posted this issue. And you were the only one to truly cared about people like me. Sad it's only one in 200.

Shacking hands with you, my friend!

Thanks Diychatroom.com for finding Beenthere.

Last edited by kindn3ss; 09-28-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Tags
black wire, fan wires, hvac control board