Hvac For Double-wide - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hvac for double-wide

I am searching for hvac system for double-wide. I am told several different things. I have an up-flow system with vents in roof. My double-wide is 2100 sq. foot. I have been told that I can use a goodman or rheem complete new system and then I have been told that b/c its a mobile home the inside system has to be a different system for mobile homes. I don't understand this. Help???

Advertisement

jen2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rewards Points: 500

hvac for double-wide

Colman maybe the best bet. They make a lot of hvac system for double-wide. O even notice Westinghouse is selling hvac system for double-wide

Advertisement

Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #3

hvac for double-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen2012 View Post
I am searching for hvac system for double-wide. I am told several different things. I have an up-flow system with vents in roof. My double-wide is 2100 sq. foot. I have been told that I can use a goodman or rheem complete new system and then I have been told that b/c its a mobile home the inside system has to be a different system for mobile homes. I don't understand this. Help???
Contact your local building inspectors office, they will be able to tell you what the local codes allow or don't allow.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
jkv

Rewards Points: 75

hvac for double-wide

You can put in any system you want, you will or they change the plenum when they install it, you just want to be sure they put the right size in, that will depend on the age and air leakage that you have. It should be around 4-41/2 ton system but the calculations will have to be done first
jkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

hvac for double-wide

the general contractor told me that I could put in a goodman 16 seer 5 ton unit inside and out.Then he calls me back and said that his distributor told him that b/c its a mobile home that I need to use a coleman system on the inside b/c it has to be mobile home approved and that by putting in a gooman inside unit it would void my warranty.
jen2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #6

hvac for double-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen2012 View Post
the general contractor told me that I could put in a goodman 16 seer 5 ton unit inside and out.Then he calls me back and said that his distributor told him that b/c its a mobile home that I need to use a coleman system on the inside b/c it has to be mobile home approved and that by putting in a gooman inside unit it would void my warranty.
again..........its about the local codes.......I know around here we can only install sealed combustion units it a moble home....call your local inspection office and get the facts from the right people.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #7
REP

hvac for double-wide

OK I don't understand why this is so hard.In a mobile home the concern is that a 70 or 80% furnace will use too much inside oxygen so there is a special fitting that allows outside air to be brought in for combustion.Its as simple as that.There is NO SPECIAL blower on it,it is a standard blower.
Now if you put ANY BRAND 90% furnace in and you run the two PVC pipes off it,it will work fine.Because it is in a mobile home they also want you to use HD "L" brackets to hold it to the wall so that it cannot fall down durning transport of the mobile home.
That is the whole story,That is everything you need to know.
Again you can put ANY brand furnace in as long as you connect both the PVC vent and the PVC combustion air intake on it.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,094

hvac for double-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
Now if you put ANY BRAND 90% furnace in and you run the two PVC pipes off it,it will work fine.Because it is in a mobile home they also want you to use HD "L" brackets to hold it to the wall so that it cannot fall down durning transport of the mobile home.
That is the whole story,That is everything you need to know.
Again you can put ANY brand furnace in as long as you connect both the PVC vent and the PVC combustion air intake on it.
Not necessarily true.

The unit must be rated for manufactured home use. I know that not all 90% models have this rating. I do know that Trane and American standard have a kit to give them this rating. Again though, this must be 90% or higher efficiency.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
REP

hvac for double-wide

That KIT you refer to is two HD "L" brackets .How do I know,Because I ordered and installed it on a Trane furnace.
There is no such thing as a rating for a mobile home furnace.
The Coleman or Nordyne ,or Miller Furnaces you are thinking about are those lower effienxcy furnaces that have that sheetmetal fitting to bring in combustion air.
Again there is no magic controls or blower arrangement to make a furnace "mobile home rated".That is a marketing phrase used to sell furnaces to the unknowing.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 334

hvac for double-wide

The biggest issue I've seen with mobile home units, is the indoor unit is very noisy.
I prefer package units for mobile homes, I've seen it done many times with great results.
My granparents had their noisy furnace removed and turned the closet into a nice pantry and the end result was a nice quiet working system.

Advertisement

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote