Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HVAC condenser shutting off after 1 min - short cycling

I have a Puron Central A/C that runs on 410. I had a problem with the condenser and fan shutting off and short cycling. Reading this site last month I found the dual run capacitor was bad. I replaced it and it worked fine for the past few weeks ... until yesterday when the outside temp went over 90 degrees. Now the condenser and the fan run about 1 min and shuts off for several minutes and restarts. Yesterday evening when it cooled off, around 7pm, it started working just fine and worked fine until earlier today when it got hot outside again.

I just cleaned the outside coils with a garden hose and cooled it off. It was not very dirty. It seemed to run a bit longer, but has started the same cycle. I have not inspected the evaporator coil in the attic yet to see if it's icing up or if it's dirty (it's really hot up there!). Compared to other condensers I've heard run, this one seems a bit noisy, like it's straining. The liquid line is fairly hot to the touch. Could I be high or low on 410? Possible the condenser is low on oil or failing? I don't have lots of money to fix this. Suggestions on what to check before I call the local A/C guy? Thanks in advance.

DeltaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Is the fan turning the correct direction? Sounds like another capacitor failure or a fan motor going out.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Oh geez. This DIY'er didn't put the screws back in the side panel when he replaced the run capacitor because he was in a hurry. Well, the panel fell over. Obviously when the outside temp got higher and the coils really needed proper air flow for cooling, it didn't have it. Well, maybe this will help the next DIY'er to check the "obvious" first! Thanks!
DeltaDave is offline   Reply With Quote