Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #1

Share |

Hvac calculator

My home is 2556 sq.feet with 14 ft ceilings in the family room,kitchen,and dining room.What size a/c unit would I need,what brand is good,and should I replace the handler as well?Thanks.

pizzanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Hvac calculator

Probably should change both if you want the efficiency the new outdoor is rated at.

As far as what size, not enough info to tell you. But you can use this and find out. http://hvac-calc.com/

pizzanook (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #3

Hvac calculator

The a/c company says that I have a 5 ton right now,but I think the builder didn't know what he was doing.The house was built in 2002(cookie cutter)and the air temp.never felt good.It's a Lennox,tall unit.The a/c company says they will replace the compressor and coil lines only.Waiting on pricing.Also I live in the Tampa area.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #4

Hvac calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzanook View Post
The a/c company says that I have a 5 ton right now,but I think the builder didn't know what he was doing.The house was built in 2002(cookie cutter)and the air temp.never felt good.It's a Lennox,tall unit.The a/c company says they will replace the compressor and coil lines only.Waiting on pricing.Also I live in the Tampa area.
If you aren't sure the unit is sized right request they do a load calculation. They may charge you for it, but if you're going to spend money replacing a unit I'd pay the extra little bit to make sure it's going to work right.
JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JScotty For This Useful Post:
pizzanook (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #5

Hvac calculator

The air never felt right as in too hot or too humid? If the answer is too hot what temperature are you trying to achieve? They replacing a broken compressor or the whole condensing unit?
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
pizzanook (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #6

Hvac calculator

Too humid and replacing the compressor and coils only.Not the handler.I heard you should replace the handler as well.Is that true?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Hvac calculator

many times its easier to replace the air handler, then just the indoor coil.

Too humid is often an indication of an over sized A/C.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #8

Hvac calculator

I know you can't give me an exact number,but I have 13 windowand four sliding glass doors that lead to the sunroom.2556 sq. feet.4 bedrooms and a study with 9 ft. ceilings and rest of house has 14 ft. ceilings.I know it goes by volume,but what do you think?I'm 20 minutes south of Tampa,fl.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Hvac calculator

http://hvac-calc.com/

The above will tell you what size you should have. Its 49 bucks, a deal to get your humidity under control.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #10

Hvac calculator

Just received my quote for a complete ICP Grandaire 5 ton 13 seer for $5250.Doesnt have the reverse heat pump in the compressor ,just a heating coil like your oven.That is my first quote.I know my parents paid $4750 for a Bryant 3.5 ton 15 seer with the UV light three years ago.Any suggestions.The company was stating that the UV lights don't really work(just another upsale for them to come out and replace it)
Old 04-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Hvac calculator

Installed right they help.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #12

Hvac calculator

So you recommend getting a UV light? What about a dehumidifier, will that help? Is the ICP a good unit?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
Hvac Pro

Hvac calculator

If you have the $$ and want a better system for your climate this is what I would recommend.

A 2 stage AC and replace the air handler with one that has a variable speed ECM motor. Then you can run it on low speed all the time for better circulation and it uses very little elec for that as it is a NRG saving high efficient motor. the 2 stage AC will give you longer cycles which will dehumidifiy the air a LOT better. a 16 SEER or higher in your climate will save lots of $$ too. Most brands are good but like cars the more you spend the quieter they get as they are built heavier with more insulation etc and that can make them last longer. Lennox, York, Trane, Bryant/Carrier would be my pics. UV lights work well but they must be installed correctly so the light sees the air flow and bathes the duct with light properly. if they stick it in a corner then it won't see the whole airstream.

Lennox makes the humiditrol system which is unique in the industry and has some good reviews in humid areas like yours. quite pricey I expect but works well.
http://www.lennox.com/products/indoo...ty-systems/HD/

Last edited by yuri; 04-13-2013 at 08:20 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
pizzanook (04-14-2013)