Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #1

Share |

HVAC air intake relocation newbie question

Hi, i'm trying to move a wall back about 2ft in the basement. The move is necessary because the space the wall is dividing is essentially un-usable. I'm new to moving HVAC systems but oterhwise consider myself pretty handy so i'll attempt to move it back as a DIY project.

can the guru's chime in and help me with

1. identifying the purpose of this air intake?

2. if the drop is really necessary? meaning if i can simply cut the circular pipe and not have a drop in the new wall

3. if moving it that close to the boiler pose a code violation?

please see pics below. the red line is where i want to frame up the new wall. tx

existing setup

exiting setup otherside of the wall

taking a picture to ensure that there isn't anything inside

where i want to put the new wall

another angle look at the new and old wall (new is new wall location)
vote4Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

that appears to be a return air for that room. I also assume ( cant see where the round goes) that round pile takes the return air back to the furnace. do you still need a return for that room ? if so and just want to move it back . make sure you seal all the joints good.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #3

i'm guessing it's a return. when the ac is on, i didn't feel any exhaust from that hole. do you think it's okay if i just cut the pipe and use an air filter in front of it? side question, why did they build such a large air return for the basement? seems to be a lot of work
Old 10-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

I would say it's a return.. maybe future bedroom., den, etc,. Don't know I can't see the rest of the room.If that's not a enclosed room that is used .disconnect it, cap it off , . you don't need basement air circulating through your house. do you know it it's tied in at the furnace return ?? You should be able to hear it but, Hold some tissue around the opening with unit on to tell if it's pulling air

Last edited by kenmac; 10-09-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #5

thanks much. the basement is used as a tv room so i'm guessing that's why it's there? i've followed the round and it does seem to tie in to the furnace. just to confirm, i've included the pics below

the line coming off the wall in red

it ties into the back of this unit

so the question is do i need the drop? i'm thinking putting a filter in front of the circular pipe so it'll be easier to relocate in the new wall?

thanks much
Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
30 year tech

I would just take the duct out of the old wall, shorten the round pipe and reinstall the duct in the new wall like it was in the old wall. I don't know your basement layout but if it is living space you are going to want the return down there.

Another problem with removing it is we don't know how your ducts are sized and it may be nessary for the system to operate properly.

I am not sure what your talking about with putting a filter in front of it. You do not want to draw return air from your equipment room if thats what you are thinking.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #7

I agree with HVAC122, just cut the round pipe and move the duct back so it can stay in your new wall the way it is installed now.
It will help in the summer with humidity if you are using the system for cooling and in the winter by drawing the cooler return air from the floor.
If no cooling at this point if you decide to install it later the return will help.
When you move the wall make sure you have the clearences needed for the water heater etc...
Artco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #8

thank for the reply. as for your questions. i'm thinking about just having a air return at the round pipe (cut to the length of the new wall) and put a cover in front of it. I don't know what the purpose of the long drop is aside from sucking up air at the bottom but it seems to be an easier job to just cut and cover?

do you guys see anything wrong with that? the basement is not for living btw. just tv room about 1/2 below grade with 5 windows and a separate door.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

If your supply registers aren't throwing the heated air all the way to the floor. Then having that return up high will make the room feel very cold, and uncomfortable to be in. Can also make for a loud return. If the grille isn't sized for the amount of air it draws in.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #10

just curious what the min clearance from the boiler? right now it's about 6 inches after it's installed. however the other side of the boiler is clear so there should be enough room to maneuver if one needs to work on that boiler
Old 10-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Varies with the brand.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
HVAC / Plumbing

I would make sure everything is sealed well to prevent any possibly of combustion products from being drawn in by the return