Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

Share |

Hunter Thermostat Model 44860 Heat Pump Emergency Heat Does Not Work On Auto

I had a Hunter Thermostat Model 44860 installed back in the summer. The AC and regular heat seems to work, but in the last week it has gotten down to the 20/30's and the regular heat is running constantly, but the temperature inside the house never gets above 60. I can manually turn on the EM heat function and it heats up right away, but it won't just kick it on to heat the house up to the set temp.

I understand from other posts that the Hunter Thermostat is junk, but I have had it for about six months and can't take it back now, so any advice on how to fix it would be appreciated.

stvnhdmpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Who installed your stat? and do you have your old one? and do you know have electric back up or gas backup?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #3

If I recall from when I installed mine, there is a switch for gas or heat pump on the stat. I have had mine for years, with no issues. Well, I shouldn't say that. I did have one go bad, outside of warranty, but they replaced it free of charge.
Check the manual for proper setup for your heat pump.
TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #4

@Hvactech126 Like the best DIYer I tried to install it, but afterwards the whole system wouldn't work even after putting the old one back on. So I ended up calling in the professionals who got it working. They disposed of the old one for me since I didn't want to deal with the mercury. I know that it is an all electric system and the settings

I looked through the settings yesterday and couldn't find any that were set up wrong, but then again I'm not sure if I would know so here are:

System: Heat Pump
Furnace Type: Electric
Stage One Span: 2F
Stage Two Span: 2F
Auto Season Span: 5F
Temp Calibration +0F
Stage Timer: 00 minutes
Residual Cooling timer: 00 seconds

The wires are set up as such:

Yellow=Y1
Blue=C
White=W1
Red=Rc/R
Green=G
Yellow=Y2
There are two jumpers
Jumper 1 = Rc/R to RH
Jumper 2 = E to W1

If I go and change it to EMHeat, it works and will warm the house to the set temp but it will only run on EM heat. If I have it set to just Heat or Auto, it will only go up to 60 degrees and it runs constantly. Not only is 60 to cold, but I am worried about the electric bill with it running constantly I am even more worried about leaving it on EMHeat since I know it cost a lot more to run, but it at least gets it to temperature and doesn't run constantly. I'm not sure which is better.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #5

@ TJ in IL, it seems to have the correct settings for the heat pump. I posted all the settings in the previous post. Thanks for your replies.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

where is o or b hooked to? can you take a picture of the connections? What brand of HP do you have?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #7

I don't remember seeing an Orange or Black wire...I'll check again when I get home this evening. I'll also take a picture, but it is hard to tell where the wires are going since they are so bunched together.

It is a Payne HP.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #8

So I was finally able to get Hunter Customer Service on the phone. They told me that with this model, you have to manually switch to EM Heat. That seems pretty lame to me, but at least nothing is wrong. This was the only model that Lowe's sold that was programmable and worked with a heat pump.

Is it typical that the heat pump would only be able to keep the house at 60 degrees without EM heat when it is in the 20's or 30's? At what outside temperature does EM Heat usually have to kick in or does it have to do with more than just the outside temp? I don't want to have to leave the EM heat on full time so I may end up having to get a new thermostat.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
AKA HVACTECHFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnhdmpa View Post
So I was finally able to get Hunter Customer Service on the phone. They told me that with this model, you have to manually switch to EM Heat. That seems pretty lame to me, but at least nothing is wrong. This was the only model that Lowe's sold that was programmable and worked with a heat pump.

Is it typical that the heat pump would only be able to keep the house at 60 degrees without EM heat when it is in the 20's or 30's? At what outside temperature does EM Heat usually have to kick in or does it have to do with more than just the outside temp? I don't want to have to leave the EM heat on full time so I may end up having to get a new thermostat.
it depends on the tightness of your home. a loose house may only be able to hold 60 degrees with hp only @ 20 degrees. It all depends on the setup as to when backup kicks in. Most have to do with droop, which is when your house temp falls x number of degrees below the set point your backup kicks in. You can add an outdoor stat that will call for backup at a specified temp. so the hp and backup will both run when outdoor temp is below that set point.