Humidity Help - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Humidity help

The humidity levels in my home are an absolute mess!!!

Our home is located in ny and we have a two story house with a finished basement. The house is 30x50 and the ac is separated in two zones - no ac in the basement. Our air handlers are in the attic. Our heating is mostly hot water baseboard - although we are converting some rooms to radiant.

The problem is our house gets very dry in the winter and extremely humid in the summer. Right now our humidity levels are around 75% and in the winter we are usually around 25%. Last winter we had an aprilaire Bypass humidifier installed in our attic on our air handler that handles the top floor. A hot water line was run into the attic and I basically had the fan run constantly. Problem is the pads in the humidifier went bad very fast - weeks - because there was no hot air to dry out the pads. Also - I hate having a water line in my attic. The humidity level did come up a little but I fel the system was working very hard for such a small gain.

So bottom line - is there anything I can do here? I contacted the company that makes that wave ventilation unit to see if that might do something. Besides that I am at a loss.

Advertisement

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Humidity help

What type of ventilation does the attic have coming out the roof of the house?

Advertisement

roofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

Humidity help

Seal your house up better. Its the infiltration of outside air that is causing most of your humidity problems.

And unless your water heater is close to your humidifier, at only 6 gallons an hour, the water reaching the humidifier is not hot enough to provide good humidification. In an application as you describe, the water needs to be 140F.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Humidity help

There is an attic fan up there. Could the air handlers be pulling the humidity in from the attic and circulating that around the house?

As far as water temp goes - I though about that but the water to the humidifier is actually feeding from right above the boiler room so the water is nice and hot. Plus it's running so much that it really doesn't have a chance to cool down. Maybe I should get one of those blower door tests to seal up leaks around the house....

Thank you!!
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

Humidity help

The attic fan could be drawing air from the house if there isn't enough vents in the attic for it to draw air from.

Your return ducts may not be sealed properly. And could draw in attic air.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote