Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Humidity Caused Ceiling Damage, pics.

Go a call about a water leak late last night. One tech from my company couldn't fit into the attic to figure the problem out earlier inthe day and another a/c company came out and just cut a hole in the sheetrock but not big enough to see anything so pretty much just charged these people $200 to do even more damage. I temporarily patched the hole this other company cut so no more blown insulation would fall down and to keep the attic air in the attic.
I make my way through the tight spot, after making certain the drains were not the cause, and sure enough the 5" duct's insulation at the register was pulled back half of a foot. The duct was too short at time of original install and it just pulled back, the entire duct run sitting on the insulation and not strapped up, as was the return for upstairs. I've changed and lengthened the duct run, strapped up all accessible ducts and it's been condensate free as it's been running since this morning, but I'm going back this evening to install two float switches. Enjoy these two horrific pics.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Need to post that over at http://whitetrashrepairs.com/

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

My duct board taped to the ceiling is white trash-ish, isn't it?

Heck, I didn't even want to try and patch it when they first asked, I told them to get that company that cut the hole back out as it wasn't my concern or fault/doing.

The entire ceiling will be replaced this Monday so I hope that tape holds until then.

Out to install the float switches. Of course I'll have my camera with me so...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

LOL

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

This is the space I had to crawl to to get to the duct.

You can see the a very little bit under the return duct of the new duct I installed. That register box is trash and not used, it was up there already so it stayed there.

The entrance to this unit and what you see as soon as the door is open. No space!!

Funny thing happened this evening, I showed up to install the float switches but no one was home and no one was answering the phone and I had told them I'd be there this evening between 8 and 9, even spoke with them again one hour prior to heading over and said, "One hour."
I thought they were not wanting to pay me for the repair of the duct and were thus avoiding me so I went into the back yard and flipped the breaker to the downstairs unit off, downstairs being the unit they use as that's where the bedrooms and living are, also where the duct issue/repair was.

I got in my truck to leave just after and no sooner do I leave the driveway then they call back and say they were two minutes away, they had to go to the corner store.

Whoopsie!! I turn around and high tail it into the yard and flip the breaker back on, get my tools back out and casually wait for them which isn't much longer and then I install the switches, no one the wiser.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,710

As long as they don't come here and read about what you did.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

A long long time ago. The meter reader for an electric company was at my cousins house to read the meter. For some reason he snuck around the back of the house. Their dog took a piece out of him. He sued them. Case never made it to court, when they simply asked, what right did he have to be on their property other then where the meter was. They threatened to file trepass charges against the meter reader and the company for condoning it. Case dropped, and the reader had to pay for his hospital and doctors bills himself. Later he was fired when he was caught around the back of some other houses that had their meters on the side of the house.

Moral. Just because you are at a house to work on something. You don't have a legal right to be on their property at any location other then what is required for you to preform your work. If they would have been at the hospital and forgot to call you. And a pet died because you shut off their A/C for no valid safety reason. They could sue you and your company for damages.

Remember. What you post on the internet, will stay on the internet forever. And you just posted on a DIY site why they should only DIY, due to untrustworthy techs that will sabotage their systems.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Remember. What you post on the internet, will stay on the internet forever. And you just posted on a DIY site why they should only DIY, due to untrustworthy techs that will sabotage their systems.

Doc---What were you thinking?

Quotes from Mom---
"Isn't it funny how trouble always starts out as fun?"

"Remember, If it doesn't cover your bail and your lawyers bill,it's not worth doing."
Old 08-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

I'm probably the most helpful person there is in this trade in this city, the hvac capitol of the world. I go out of my way repeatedly for people to get them cool. I've been back on my own time, nights and on weekends, not even getting paid for that. All of my customers absolutely love me, my company has gotten more calls about how good I've treated them and how hard I've worked, not too mention how ethical I am. Case in point: two days ago someone tried to sell a new condenser to a home owner when all that was wrong was a wire had come loose, telling them the condenser was shot.

These folk are calling the insurance companies and now, since I've been with this company, our rating has gone through the roof and we are coming out highly recommended. So much so that I'm exhausted. Poeple I've never heard of asking for me by name.

It's a good thing but try and screw me and play with my money and Pandora's Box will have nothing on me, plain and simple.

As soon as the folk called I turned around and made it right so no biggy, a simple misunderstanding.

If any home owner is out there reading this then there is a moral, don't think that when you feel the need to screw us we won't return the favor. At least I will.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 08-14-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

If any home owner is out there reading this then there is a moral, don't think that when you feel the need to screw us we won't return the favor. At least I will.
Now go back and tell all those people requesting you by name what you did, and see if they continue to call asking for you. Or even want your company to come out anymore.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Now go back and tell all those people requesting you by name what you did, and see if they continue to call asking for you. Or even want your company to come out anymore.

The people from last night called me after I left, after I posted on here. The pics I took did not go through when they used my phone to send them to their brother who is the home owner, the internet was off on the phone at the time.

They knew I thougth they had screwed me when they pulled back up to the home last night, I told them that then and they could I was slightly upset.

I told them to have their brother, the home owner, call me. He did, at around midnight. I told him what I had done and why, he actually laughed and thought it was funny and him being a hedge fund banker (multiples of millions of dollars per account he handles) and straight up business man, he understood what being screwed felt like and had no problems with it and apologized for his sister's neglectibility in not returning my calls and not being at the home.

These people love me. I know what your saying bt, but it's only because I thought they were screwing me after I went out of my way to fit them in on what was supposed to be my day off, my weekend. I was the only one of three techs to be able to diagnose the leak and then promptly fix it and then they weren't going to pay me? That's what I was thinking.

It was a misunderstanding, it was not so much sabotage of the system, I didn't hurt anything, as it was just leaving them uncomfortable so they'd call me and I'd come get back and receive my hard earned money and yes, the misunderstanging was on my part and now it's over.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

I mean tell all those people that you said are calling and ask for you by name. See if they still call, or want you out.

The landlord didn't care cause it wasn't him that could have came home to a hot house.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

I don't get it doc. You work for a company but do work for free on nights and weekends? Slow paying customer is messing with YOUR money? Just keep in mind that this work, not on company time, places all financial liability on you and not the company should something go wrong.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
I don't get it doc. You work for a company but do work for free on nights and weekends? Slow paying customer is messing with YOUR money? Just keep in mind that this work, not on company time, places all financial liability on you and not the company should something go wrong.

I agree. You ALWAYS have to think of the worst case scenario. If you hurt yourself on an unauthorized/booked call then Workers Compensation if you have it in your State may not want to pay you or will give you a extremely hard time. If you accidentally start a fire with a torch YOU and your co. may be liable. NO JOKE. One of my previous co-worker plumbers burned half a house down soldering under a sink with no fire extinguisher and caught the wall on fire. I personally with my company had to deal with a totally frivolous lawsuit from some clown with more money than brains who decided to take a run at my co. for "so called" inconvenience/negligence we supposedly caused him. NOT a experience you want to go thru when the lawyers are attacking you. Do you have $200/hr to hire one to defend you? Company will say "we never told him to go there" and more than likely abandon you. Seen that happen to a guy who fell off a ladder and broke his wrist in 13 places. They would not rehire him and said it was his fault for setting the ladder up improperly.

Last edited by yuri; 08-14-2011 at 08:59 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Not to mention the lost income for the company. Four hours free a week at a 5% profit means the company needs to earn an extra 32,000 a month to have the same bottom line.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote