Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #1

Share |

humidistat keeps water flowing??

Hi everybody, here is my question:

I have a humidifier on my furnace. There is a 24V wire that goes to the humidistat and from there to the transformer. But nothing that connects this system to the furnace.

So the problem is, when the humidistat opens up the water supply to the humidifier, it keeps flowing and the water ends up down the drain, not adding at all to the humidity in the house and it keeps going whether the furnace is running or not. What is wrong with this setup?

Thanks.

Newmarket

PS I looked at the circuit board in the furnace, and there is no connection for any wire for a humidistat.

I have an Aprilaire 550 humidifier and an old, 80% furnace, make unknown.

Newmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Install a sail switch or a current sensor relay so it only runs when the fan runs.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarket View Post
Hi everybody, here is my question:

I have a humidifier on my furnace. There is a 24V wire that goes to the humidistat and from there to the transformer. But nothing that connects this system to the furnace.

So the problem is, when the humidistat opens up the water supply to the humidifier, it keeps flowing and the water ends up down the drain, not adding at all to the humidity in the house and it keeps going whether the furnace is running or not. What is wrong with this setup?

Thanks.

Newmarket

PS I looked at the circuit board in the furnace, and there is no connection for any wire for a humidistat.

I have an Aprilaire 550 humidifier and an old, 80% furnace, make unknown.
as bt said could could use a sail switch....but that furnace should and connector on board that says hum...humidifer...that connector is for the 120 volt supply to transformer for humidifer...this operates when blower starts on furnace and will also start the humidifier if its call for water.. what you have now is wired wrong....ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #4

This website may have useful info:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453058472

See Documents tab
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aprilaire humidifer