Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Share |

Humidifier wiring help

We have a packaged rooftop heat pump, last year I had some duct fabricated and mounted a drum type humidifier in our laundry room. I dont care for the drum unit and have an Aprilaire 600 unit being delivered in a couple of days. I plan to hook it up to the hot water line to help add a little more moisture to the house.

The only way I was able to make the unit work was to wire it to my G terminal, which is fine but this time of year, we are jumping between heat and a/c.

Does anyone know of a way I can hook this thing up so it doesnt run when the a/c is on? Kinda hard to do with a heat pump. Is there a thermostat out there for heat pumps that has a humidifier terminal on it?

Forgive my ignorance as whole house humidifiers are very rare here and no one here seems to be able to give me any help with it.

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Humidifier wiring help

how many wires do you have to your current t-stat location? Can you run new wires to that location? Honeywell prestige can operate your humidifier with a HP system and only during heating.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #3

Humidifier wiring help

When I installed the heat pump, I replaced the 4 wire line with 7 up to the unit and the laundry room is near the thermostat also. I'll check into the prestige unit, at the moment we have just a basic focus pro 6000. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

Humidifier wiring help

Just did a quick look at the prestige unit and the vision pro iaq. I had a couple vision pro units in the past but not the iaq model, they were short lived. Guess I'll go down and pick up the iaq unit and give it a try.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

Humidifier wiring help

I see it has the option of having the fan come on and run the humidifier when it's not calling for heat, is that a good idea? Seems like the lack of warm air wouldnt do much for humidification.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

Humidifier wiring help

That is just an option. If you get one of the IAQ versions then it will be a pain to wire due to you having a package unit. If you get the standard prestige it would be easier, I think. However, I'm not certain of your exact setup.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

Humidifier wiring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
That is just an option. If you get one of the IAQ versions then it will be a pain to wire due to you having a package unit. If you get the standard prestige it would be easier, I think. However, I'm not certain of your exact setup.
Everything is in one area, I was figuring on mounting the control unit in the laundry room which is behind the wall where the thermostat is. This is also where the humidifier is and access to anything in the attic when it comes to running wires, is very easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to sammy37 For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #8

Humidifier wiring help

Just did some more searching and found White Rodgers has a touch screen stat that has what I need for a good price and doesnt require adding a seperate control. Do you guys have any experience with the white Rodgers stats? Seems like Honeywell rules the roost.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
AKA HVACTECHFW

Humidifier wiring help

I used to use white Rodgers.... I am much happier with the Honeywell stats.