DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Humidifier water valve (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/humidifier-water-valve-179293/)

sammy37 05-11-2013 09:28 AM

Humidifier water valve
 
Seeing how we dont have many humidifiers in Las vegas, I'm curious what the failure rate is on the water valve for flow through humidifiers.

The Aprilaire 600 humidifier I installed in the neighbors house, has a stuck on water valve. She called me yesterday and said she heard the water running and when I got there, I had to shut the water supply off to turn it off.

beenthere 05-11-2013 01:08 PM

Varies with the areas water conditions.

sammy37 05-11-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere (Post 1177118)
Varies with the areas water conditions.

I just installed the thing a few months ago, I hope the replacement valve lasts longer!
Even worse, because the blower wasnt running, the humidifier was sweating inside the cabinet and leaking all over her laundry room floor.

FClef 05-11-2013 05:41 PM

I hate humidifiers for this very reason. Frankly, unless you really, really need a whole house humidifier, there is no reason to own one. You can get room humidifiers and ultimately they are better because they can put the humidity where you want it.

sammy37 05-11-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FClef (Post 1177297)
I hate humidifiers for this very reason. Frankly, unless you really, really need a whole house humidifier, there is no reason to own one. You can get room humidifiers and ultimately they are better because they can put the humidity where you want it.

We really need humidity in Vegas in the winter.

I and the neighbor had portable units and got tired of messing with them and most models now only have a wicking type pad and after a couple weeks the pad was shot, wouldnt wick anymore.

I have no problem with whole house units but would like to see a water valve last more than a few months.

hvactech126 05-11-2013 10:32 PM

as BT said, it depends on the water quality.... you may want to use an inline filter.

HVAC1000 05-12-2013 12:01 AM

the Aprilaire 600 doesnt use a wicking pad, that is the Aprilaire 400.

not to insult you with this question but did you install the solenoid valve with the flow going the proper direction? solenoids need the flow going a specific direction (the direction of the arrow on the side), otherwise the flow will never shut off.

sammy37 05-12-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HVAC1000 (Post 1177473)
the Aprilaire 600 doesnt use a wicking pad, that is the Aprilaire 400.

not to insult you with this question but did you install the solenoid valve with the flow going the proper direction? solenoids need the flow going a specific direction (the direction of the arrow on the side), otherwise the flow will never shut off.

I said the portable units we were using had wicking pads, not the whole house units.

The aprilaire unit is assembled already, I hooked the water line to the only end that was available. I'll double check and make sure they didnt reverse it at the factory but like I said, it worked fine for several months.

sammy37 05-12-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvactech126 (Post 1177445)
as BT said, it depends on the water quality.... you may want to use an inline filter.

It's plumbed with hot water, never seen an inline filter for hot water. If you know of one, let me know and I'll have her buy it.

hvactech126 05-12-2013 08:05 PM

There are a number of hot water filters on the market. You simply have to adapt from the 3/4" inlet/outlet to 1/4".

HVAC1000 05-12-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvactech126
There are a number of hot water filters on the market. You simply have to adapt from the 3/4" inlet/outlet to 1/4".

I've seen and used many inline 1/4 inch filters for hot water

hvactech126 05-12-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HVAC1000 (Post 1178050)
I've seen and used many inline 1/4 inch filters for hot water

Care to provide an example for the OP?

HVAC1000 05-12-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvactech126

Care to provide an example for the OP?

Honestly, I don't remember the brand I wanna say Honeywell but I was at a supply house and I asked for an inline filter for a steam humidifier an employee was installing and they gave me one with 1/4 in push fittings on it

sammy37 05-13-2013 08:38 AM

Thanks guys, I'll check into that.

hvactech126 05-13-2013 10:06 AM

A steam humidifier uses cold water and should never be installed to hot water.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved