Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Humidifier Knob and Humidistat Question

Hello and Greetings from Parkland County Alberta!

I have a 1042 Series GerneralAir humidifier attached to our furnace. It wasn't working and I finally just had a chance to figure out why. I've successfully replaced the solenoid valve and the filter and it's working. I'm still trying to find the "sweet spot" to get our humidity to the right level as it is VERY dry in the winter here.

My questions are, what is the relationship to the knob on the humidifier itself (High, Med, Low) and the humidistat. How do you know where to put the knob on the humidifier? I turned it all on high to test it out and it leaked all over the floor - but the wood stove was off for cleaning at the time so our heat was only furnace heat right then.

Also, why is the humidistat installed on the furnace - that would lead me to believe that the humidity is being measured and controlled in the basement instead of where we mostly live - upstairs.

We recently installed a high efficiency wood stove (Jotul 500) and our humidity has been very low since burning lots of wood from our land that ranges from very old to recently fallen.

When the furnace kicks on, I'm wondering does the humid-stat control when the humidifier comes on and the knob on the humidistat itself controls how much water flow there is...or??? We will keep playing with it but if anyone can help us shortcut this mystery that would be great!

I'm a new mommy of a 14 month old who has a snuffy nose and it would be nice to get the humidity to a humane level in our dry great northern house!

Thanks,
Froggy

Waterfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,380

Humidifier Knob and Humidistat Question

I lived in Calgary and when they say semi-arid climate they mean it. more like semi-desert. I have the same humidifier and you want to leave the knob on medium in winter and low for summer. if you put it on high then too much air flows across the humidifier pad and can blow the water off plus it needs contact time to absorb the water. I use medium on mine. the humidistat should be on the return duct of the furnace and it will sense an average reading off all the air in the house. sweet spot depends on when your windows sweat, cut it back a bit. probably will never happen in your climate and with the wood stove so set it high and go from there. make sure you have a good steady trickle of water flowing to the drain so the pad is good and wet plus it helps it stay clean. the humidifier only works when the furnace is on so burning wood is part of the problem. only solution then is to get some portable humdifiers. Sears, HDepot, Rona,WMart, CTire. buy a large name brand like Bionaire as getting pads yrs later is hard for the others.

http://www.bionaire.com/humidifiers
Attached Images

Last edited by yuri; 11-30-2013 at 07:35 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote