Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

humidifier help

Hey all - I'm meeting with an HVAC contractor tonight but wanted to pick some brains here as well..

I have around 4000 sq ft of living space in my house and in the winter it can get pretty dry. We have hot water baseboard heat for the majority of the house, although we are going to convert the two bathrooms upstairs to radiant - and then next year I'm planning on converting the entire first floor to radiant.

We do have central air - 2 zones (one for each floor) and my HVAC contractor is coming by tonight to give me some ideas about how to run a humidifier through the central air system by just running the fan in the winter. Is there anything I should know before doing this? Any advice, opinions, suggestions, questions, comments

Thank you!

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

humidifier help

The only choice I can see is going with a steam humidifier.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,826

humidifier help

Is your A/C's duct work in the attic?

If so. Then you will increase your heating cost by using it to humidify the house. Since the duct work will lose a lot of heat to the attic.

An Aprilaire 350 or 360 may be a better way to go.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

humidifier help

So the contractor came by last night and suggested a York humidifier mounted on to my AC ductwork - which is in the attic. Located in NYC so I'm not crazy about running a water line into the attic - but the attic is fairly well insulated and we figured we could run the water line through the attic floor which is well insulated, and come up into the humidifier. We are also going to install a york control (humidistat) which we could set the humidity level and when there is demand, that would turn the fan on to the AC unit to circulate humidity.

I see what you are saying - and honestly I was thinking about that last night...with the duct work in the attic, when that fan kicks on that could be a lot of cold air circulating. All of the duct work is well insulated but I'm sure on a 20 degree night that duct work is still going to be cold. Contractor said to avoid a steam humidifier into the ductwork because they shorten the life of the air handler and duct work. The Aprilaire unit looks like a good alternative - I'll have to ask the contractor about that one but the output looks rather low - where the York I believe was up to 18gph.

Thank you!

The model # of the proposed humidifier is a york fp7000my

Last edited by mazzonetv; 10-08-2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added model number
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote