Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Humidifier in Fiberboard Duct Installation

Hello - I am hoping to install an Aprilaire 700A humidifier on my Trane XE90 furnace. My issue: I have fiberboard ducting. I am assuming that type of duct work will not support the weight of the humdifier. Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions they are willing to offer on the best way to securely mount the humidifier? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

jfhanson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #2

Would it make more sense to replace the plenum with metal instead of buidling some sort of a bracket for the humidifier? Thank you for any advice you can offer! I have a 4 month old in the house and it is way to dry for him!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhanson4 View Post
Would it make more sense to replace the plenum with metal instead of buidling some sort of a bracket for the humidifier? Thank you for any advice you can offer! I have a 4 month old in the house and it is way to dry for him!
I would never install a humidifier on a duct board system.

But making a metal plenum sounds OK, but I would still check wit Aprialaire on line and get some in-depth information.

Have you consulted them?
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #4

I submitted a request for information from them. I will probably just call tomorrow. Should I be concerned with mold as well with the fiberboard? Thanks for your input!

John
Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #5

The company I work for installs humidifiers in ductboard systems all the time. Just put a piece of metal on the inside of the ductboard where you will attaching the humidifier to the system. We use drive cleat or s strap. I will be able to support the weight.
Flyers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post
The company I work for installs humidifiers in ductboard systems all the time. Just put a piece of metal on the inside of the ductboard where you will attaching the humidifier to the system. We use drive cleat or s strap. I will be able to support the weight.
I'm concerned about mold, just as the OP stated. Don't know if duct board is resistant to mold growth or not.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #7

This is the reply I got from Aprilaire:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding installing an Aprilaire humidifier on duct board. Aprilaire humidifier can be mounted on duct board if the duct has the structural integrity to support the weight of the humidifier and if the mounting method is such that the humidifier is held securely and permanently. This may require mounting a piece of sheet metal on the inside of the duct so that the mounting screws have something to bite into. We would not recommend installing a humidifier on duct board and solely rely on tape to support the humidifier."

Sounds about right, no mention of a mold issue, though they may have chosen not to. I am going to shoot for some sheet metal and channel to stiffen it up and see what happens. Thank you for all of your input.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhanson4 View Post
This is the reply I got from Aprilaire:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding installing an Aprilaire humidifier on duct board. Aprilaire humidifier can be mounted on duct board if the duct has the structural integrity to support the weight of the humidifier and if the mounting method is such that the humidifier is held securely and permanently. This may require mounting a piece of sheet metal on the inside of the duct so that the mounting screws have something to bite into. We would not recommend installing a humidifier on duct board and solely rely on tape to support the humidifier."

Sounds about right, no mention of a mold issue, though they may have chosen not to. I am going to shoot for some sheet metal and channel to stiffen it up and see what happens. Thank you for all of your input.
Straight from the horse's mouth. Your good to g0.

Tags
aprilaire humidifer, fiber board, humidifier