DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Humidifier in Fiberboard Duct Installation (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/humidifier-fiberboard-duct-installation-163420/)

jfhanson4 11-15-2012 11:23 AM

Humidifier in Fiberboard Duct Installation
 
Hello - I am hoping to install an Aprilaire 700A humidifier on my Trane XE90 furnace. My issue: I have fiberboard ducting. I am assuming that type of duct work will not support the weight of the humdifier. Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions they are willing to offer on the best way to securely mount the humidifier? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

jfhanson4 11-15-2012 06:33 PM

Would it make more sense to replace the plenum with metal instead of buidling some sort of a bracket for the humidifier? Thank you for any advice you can offer! I have a 4 month old in the house and it is way to dry for him!

hvac5646 11-15-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfhanson4 (Post 1053068)
Would it make more sense to replace the plenum with metal instead of buidling some sort of a bracket for the humidifier? Thank you for any advice you can offer! I have a 4 month old in the house and it is way to dry for him!

I would never install a humidifier on a duct board system.

But making a metal plenum sounds OK, but I would still check wit Aprialaire on line and get some in-depth information.

Have you consulted them?

jfhanson4 11-15-2012 07:24 PM

I submitted a request for information from them. I will probably just call tomorrow. Should I be concerned with mold as well with the fiberboard? Thanks for your input!

John

Flyers28 11-15-2012 08:11 PM

The company I work for installs humidifiers in ductboard systems all the time. Just put a piece of metal on the inside of the ductboard where you will attaching the humidifier to the system. We use drive cleat or s strap. I will be able to support the weight.

hvac5646 11-15-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers28 (Post 1053129)
The company I work for installs humidifiers in ductboard systems all the time. Just put a piece of metal on the inside of the ductboard where you will attaching the humidifier to the system. We use drive cleat or s strap. I will be able to support the weight.

I'm concerned about mold, just as the OP stated. Don't know if duct board is resistant to mold growth or not.

jfhanson4 11-16-2012 09:51 AM

This is the reply I got from Aprilaire:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding installing an Aprilaire humidifier on duct board. Aprilaire humidifier can be mounted on duct board if the duct has the structural integrity to support the weight of the humidifier and if the mounting method is such that the humidifier is held securely and permanently. This may require mounting a piece of sheet metal on the inside of the duct so that the mounting screws have something to bite into. We would not recommend installing a humidifier on duct board and solely rely on tape to support the humidifier."

Sounds about right, no mention of a mold issue, though they may have chosen not to. I am going to shoot for some sheet metal and channel to stiffen it up and see what happens. Thank you for all of your input.

hvac5646 11-16-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfhanson4 (Post 1053471)
This is the reply I got from Aprilaire:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding installing an Aprilaire humidifier on duct board. Aprilaire humidifier can be mounted on duct board if the duct has the structural integrity to support the weight of the humidifier and if the mounting method is such that the humidifier is held securely and permanently. This may require mounting a piece of sheet metal on the inside of the duct so that the mounting screws have something to bite into. We would not recommend installing a humidifier on duct board and solely rely on tape to support the humidifier."

Sounds about right, no mention of a mold issue, though they may have chosen not to. I am going to shoot for some sheet metal and channel to stiffen it up and see what happens. Thank you for all of your input.

Straight from the horse's mouth. Your good to g0.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved