Humid House ! - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Humid house !

Hi,
i'm new here and i've got some questions. I'm just negociating to buy a house. There's one that interest us very much. We pay to made an inspection yesterday and everything looks fine except one thing. There's too much humidity ine the house. The inspector told us is nothing real bad..he says that it can be contolled by putting he calle an air extractor. The proof that ther'es too much humidity is that we hace sees condensation in the lower parts of some windows. I saw smal amount of mildew there (because of the condensation). I know it can be remove. What is worrying me is that we (the inspector in fact) also found mildew on the attic hatch. Theres no mildew on the roof just on the plywood that was built around the attic hatch.
Can it be a big problem ? Is it normal to found mildew on attic hatch and not anywhere else in the attic ? Is it a hard problem to solve ? The inspector just told me to change the hatch ans have good aeration of the house by always using the air extractor in kitchen when cooking and when taking shower or bath.

thanks for all your answers !

Advertisement

tostaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Humid house !

Where are you located ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #3

Humid house !

Hi, im located in montreal (canada) here we have a lot of cold in winter and a lot of hunmidity in summer !
Old 03-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #4

Humid house !

Hi,
i'm new here and i've got some questions. I'm just negociating to buy a house. There's one that interest us very much. We pay to made an inspection yesterday and everything looks fine except one thing. There's too much humidity ine the house. The inspector told us is nothing real bad..he says that it can be contolled by putting he calle an air extractor. The proof that there's too much humidity is that we have see condensation in the lower parts of some windows. I saw small amount of mildew (mold ?) there (because of the condensation). I know it can be remove. What is worrying me is that we (the inspector in fact) also found mildew on the attic hatch. Theres no mildew on the roof just on the plywood that was built around the attic hatch.
Can it be a big problem ? Is it normal to found mildew on attic hatch and not anywhere else in the attic ? Is it a hard problem to solve ? The inspector just told me to change the hatch ans have good aeration of the house by always using the air extractor in kitchen when cooking and when taking shower or bath.

thanks for all your answers !

Heres some pics for you !
Attached Thumbnails
Humid house !-img_45_redimensionner.jpg   Humid house !-img_48_redimensionner.jpg   Humid house !-img_43_redimensionner.jpg   Humid house !-img_44_redimensionner.jpg   Humid house !-img_46_redimensionner.jpg  

Humid house !-img_19_redimensionner.jpg  
Old 03-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 872

Humid house !

Mold can be a VERY serious problem and VERY expensive to remove/remedy. Some people are extremely sensitive to it, especially children and people with asthma etc. I would want to get another opinion from a company who specializes in indoor air quality and mold abatement /removal. There may be a LOT of unseen mold inside the walls etc. I have seen your scenario a lot in Manitoba with houses with no chimney and electric heat. You will probably need a heat recovery ventilator (HRV):Lifebreath
installed to keep the humidity down in the future and A/C for moisture removal in the summer.
More info:http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/air/.../index-eng.php

Last edited by yuri; 03-30-2010 at 07:02 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #6

Humid house !

The mold seems very located...on the window, where is condensation, and at the entrance of the attic which wasn't insulated, and finally near the sofite where the bathroom exhaust goes....

I know that there's a guy here (Michael Thomas) who seems to be an expert in house inspection. Anys advice is very welcome but i would love to have is input on this
Old 03-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Humid house !

Can't tell for sure but it looks like that drier pipe is just stuffed in the eve instead of vented properly. If so that's the source of the attic humidity.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #8

Humid house !

The tube we see is coming from the bathroom fan on the first floor. The dryer is in the basement.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Humid house !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Can't tell for sure but it looks like that drier pipe is just stuffed in the eve instead of vented properly. If so that's the source of the attic humidity.
Yeah..based on the black above that pipe I'd say that's one source of the humidity
Since the attic hatch is warmer (if not fully insulated) then moisture will condense against it
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Humid house !

Older homes pre-1978 in Canada tend to have poor vapor barrier or poorly installed vapor barrier in the walls/attic as energy efficiency was not a big deal until after that. Your may have moisture penetrated the ceiling and may in your attic insulation etc. Nowadays they glue all the vapor barrier seams/joints and use airtight electrical plug boxes etc. I would want a further inspection of the attic insulation etc if I was buying the house. Older 2 pane windows can sweat and that is normal.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #11

Humid house !

The house inspector told me that thing http://www.venmar.ca/OtherProdAirExtract.aspx can solve the humidity problem in the house....
Old 03-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #12

Humid house !

And by the way, this house was built in 2000 ! What we also found out is that half of the double pane thermos window are ''unscealed'' so moist goes between the pane. They need to be resealed. The last time we visit the window where sweating at the base (on 2 inch or so) and the HR was 60%

Last edited by tostaky; 03-30-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

Humid house !

That is a ventilator but a HRV is FAR more energy efficient and Lifebreath is a far better quality unit IMO. In the summer it won't help as you need central A/C to remove moisture. Moisture is not a huge problem then as it is not so cold but I am not familiar with Montreal's climate. If it is like the Southern US states where summer moisture is a problem then you may need A/C also.

Last edited by yuri; 03-30-2010 at 07:38 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

Humid house !

2000 then the building code would probably get you better vapor barrier. Not sure about Quebec standards but they are probably quite good.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #15

Humid house !

If the vapor barrier are good is there a chance that my probleem is not bas has you think it may be (mold everywhere in the walls)?

Advertisement