Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 139
Share |
Default

HUM terminal question


I have a honeywell HE240 whole house humidifier that I would like to hard wire to my furnace. I noticed on the control board there is a HUM-H and HUM-N terminal. Can someone tell me what the difference is between those? I have a red and white wires for the humidifier leading into the transformer that was provided but I would rather just wire it to the board of the furnace. Any help would be appreciated.

mikem201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,290
Default

HUM terminal question


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem201 View Post
I have a honeywell HE240 whole house humidifier that I would like to hard wire to my furnace. I noticed on the control board there is a HUM-H and HUM-N terminal. Can someone tell me what the difference is between those? I have a red and white wires for the humidifier leading into the transformer that was provided but I would rather just wire it to the board of the furnace. Any help would be appreciated.
hum hot.......and hum...n terminals power the transformer... from the control board....you need the transformer,....ben sr

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,728
Default

HUM terminal question


As Ben said, the Hum terminals are 120 volt terminals. you will need to use the transformer.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 139
Default

HUM terminal question


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
As Ben said, the Hum terminals are 120 volt terminals. you will need to use the transformer.
the 120v is for the blower motor on the furnace. The rest is 24v so how do you figure the HUM terminals are 120v?
mikem201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: winnipeg manitoba canada
Posts: 779
Default

HUM terminal question


hook to it and see what happens.... its most likely 120 volt..... a meter will prove it.... you need a transformer....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carmon For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-15-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,728
Default

HUM terminal question


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem201 View Post
the 120v is for the blower motor on the furnace. The rest is 24v so how do you figure the HUM terminals are 120v?
Cause they make them 120 volt terminals to run a transformer for a humidifier. Plus, 24 volt circuits don't have a neutral. So if they were 24 volts, it would be HUM C, not HUM N.

Use an electrical meter and check them yourself.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-15-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 139
Default

HUM terminal question


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Cause they make them 120 volt terminals to run a transformer for a humidifier. Plus, 24 volt circuits don't have a neutral. So if they were 24 volts, it would be HUM C, not HUM N.

Use an electrical meter and check them yourself.
To check with an AC voltage meter I i have a black and red tester. The red is common and I place that on any of the screws and where do I place the black?
mikem201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
Default

HUM terminal question


Here is a decent link:
Tried to post you tube link on install video. Do a search and you will see it.
-
Joe

Last edited by Focused2; 02-14-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Focused2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,728
Default

HUM terminal question


One lead on HUM H, the other on HUM N. They are only energized while the heat is on.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
AKA HVACTECHFW
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 2,318
Blog Entries: 1
Default

HUM terminal question


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem201 View Post
the 120v is for the blower motor on the furnace. The rest is 24v so how do you figure the HUM terminals are 120v?
Because we do this everyday, that is why!

__________________
IT IS WHAT IT IS
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvactech126 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-15-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just a quick+easy question to pest control workers and/or owners...pls read..... jkls Pest Control 2 10-09-2012 10:53 PM
Venting over the range convection oven question johncle6023 HVAC 4 08-31-2012 08:30 PM
Question about 12v Car Batteries Testors85 Electrical 5 04-08-2012 12:24 PM
"G" terminal on Tstats javan HVAC 8 02-08-2009 02:16 PM
Basement Renovation Question KUIPORNG Remodeling 234 08-26-2008 08:19 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.