Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HRV vent hole to exterior

I am installing a Vanee 60h HRV. The system is mounted in my basement and will be ducted into my return air plenum of my forced air furnace. Simplified installation. I live in Ontario Canada and my township requires that I apply for a permit. The issue I am having is I do not know where to put the 6 inch holes to vent outside. I want to go through my header joist which is 2 X 10 but Iím not sure if Ontario building code allows be to drill a 6inch hole into a header joist (also known as a rim Joist). I could not find anything in the building code about holes in header joist specifically and the local town inspector will not help me. He told me itís up to me to do the home work. Is there anyone who is familiar with Ontario Building code that could advise me? My house has 2 X 10 floor joist on 12" centers. Sub floor is 3/4 plywood. The floor and header joist rest on a poured concrete foundation. The house is 2 stories with a brick exterior. If I can't go through the header joist my only other option is to come up through the floor into the cabinet under the kitchen sink and out the wall which i really don't want to do. Attached pictures show the location of where I want to go through the headers.
HRV vent hole to exterior-img_0997.jpg
HRV vent hole to exterior-img_0996.jpg

Jeff9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

just a guess but I think 6 inch too big..suggest two 3 inch and manifold inside then run to HRV..I think you are allowed up to 4 inch.

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy
just a guess but I think 6 inch too big..suggest two 3 inch and manifold inside then run to HRV..I think you are allowed up to 4 inch.
Two three inch holes are half the area of one six inch. It's ok to drill a six inch hole through a rim joist in BC, as far as I know. You'd probably want to double check that for Ontario.

Last edited by hvac benny; 10-09-2012 at 10:01 PM.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #4

o.k in Manitoba as well
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #5

oh yeah you are right..forgot about the actual area sizing..so,you can drill 6 inch? that's the good news now..recommend you rent the best hole saw available..I just did a 4 inch through rim joist 2 months ago and my hand is still sore from getting it wrenched a couple of times.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy
oh yeah you are right..forgot about the actual area sizing..so,you can drill 6 inch? that's the good news now..recommend you rent the best hole saw available..I just did a 4 inch through rim joist 2 months ago and my hand is still sore from getting it wrenched a couple of times.
The good news is the Milwaukee Super Hawg! When I first got into the trade I had to drill a 3" hole standing on a ladder with my arms above my head; damn near took my shoulder out of its socket. With the super hawg I've done 6" holes with no worries at all.

hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote