Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Joel

Share |
Unhappy

HRV Troubles

Does anybody else have trouble with an HRV unit? I have the Lennox HRV 200. Originally, I had the insulated intake duct coming in at the back of our house. When I was finishing (framing) our basement, we noticed that this insulated intake duct was sopping wet and the box sill area was soaked. It wasn't wet in the inner duct, it was the insulation wrapping the inner duct that was wet from the box sill to about 15 feet into the house. The HVAC people said that there was probably a tear in the black plastic wrapping that allowed room air to condensate on the cold inner duct. Sure enough, we discovered that nails from the hardwood floor above had pierced the (tissue paper thick) black plastic wrapping in a bunch of spots.

I replaced and rerouted this intake duct to a new box sill that will be in an unfinished part of our basement. When we had a heavy snow a few weeks back (we live in Milwaukee, WI), my HRV sucked snow all the way into the unit and I had to turn off the unit and let all the snow melt. Now I am very conscientious about keeping the outside area below the intake vent free of snow, but this thing is becoming a real pain in the butt. I do like the fact that it does a good job dehumidifying our house and (of course) bringing in fresh air, but these issues are annoying.

jweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

HRV Troubles

Sounds like, the new intake location is too close to the ground.

More installation problems, then HRV problems.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Joel

HRV Troubles

I don't disagree with you. It is about a foot or so off the ground, but that is where the box sill puts you on an average house.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

HRV Troubles

Should be installed minimum 12" above normal snow fall accumilation.

Doesn't matter where your box sill is height wise. If its less then 12" above normal snow fall, then installing the intake or exhauts through it, is incorrect installation.

If it can't be installed properly, you were sold/bought a bill of goods.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Joel

HRV Troubles

yes, I don't disagree - my options were limited for the relocation. However, i was surprised at how the intake duct got full of water when the black wrapping got pierced too. I filled up about two full buckets squeezing the water out of the insulation.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

HRV Troubles

An warm inside area, even if its humidity level is 20%.
Will let a lot of moisture collect on that cold pipe, when its temp is 20 below dew point.
And once its soaked into the insulation, the insulation won't give it up. So it only takes a relatively short time to collect a lot of water, under those conditions.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
Joel

HRV Troubles

One last thing - even if the intake was 12" off the ground (which I believe it is close to being), the 3-4 foot snow drifts we get in Milwaukee would still cover up the intake.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

HRV Troubles

The contractor, is suppose to take things like that into account, before selling and installing such devices.

And determine if and how it can be installed, to work without being covered by drifts.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
Joel

HRV Troubles

I fully agree with you. This is partly my problem since I did not want the intake duct running over drywall in my finished basement area as I didn't want to ever have to contend with a wet duct once my basement was finished. I had few choices when it came to rerouting this duct and had to go with a box sill that put the intake duct closer to the ground.