Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to work with duct?

I can't seem to find much info online, but I'd like to learn how to work with ducting. How to properly cut, and secure pieces together, hang it etc. I have a few minor projects I'd like to look into doing and I will be running some ductwork. In my case only typical 5inch duct, maybe 4inch for one project, being the bathroom fan.

I'm guessing I need a special crimper to make the corrugated ends that fit into the fittings, and a rivet gun.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
fabrk8r

How to work with duct?

Generally, most pros will refer to round duct as "pipe". Square/ rectangular is what is usually called "duct".

It sounds like you are wanting to work with pipe? Yes, a crimper will be useful for making small-end to large-end joints. If you are only going to make a couple of joints don't buy an expensive crimper because in a pinch you can use a pair of needle nose pliers to make crimps. Along with the pop-riveter you'll also need left and right tin snips. There are other tools that come in handy, but those are the basics and usually enough to get by on a small job.

The pipe is available at any large DIY store, but for uncommon sizes you'll need to find a plumbing and heating supply house.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

How to work with duct?

Yes pipe is more what I was referring to, figured it was all referred to as duct. Where can I find a good tutorial on how to fit it? I'm mostly not sure as how to cut it properly, crimp, and how to rivet as I've never done it before.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #4

How to work with duct?

Measure,make line to cut with a marker, cut pipe and snap seam together. IMO offset snips are easier to cut straight with. Reds cut left and greens cut right. Most everyone around here uses screws instead of rivets.Needs at least 3 screws per joint. Tape joints after securing with screws. Drier vents use only tape, no screws. Hang with strap supporting pipe every 5'.

BTW insulate that bath vent or it will sweat.

Last edited by Marty S.; 08-26-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

How to work with duct?

Cool think I'm understanding now, I also found a tutorial showing the crimper and a rivet gun. That's the parts I was really not sure about. The crimper is either like plyers where it does one indentation at a time, or there's fancy ones with two wheels that turn. For the amount of projects I'll do the slower manual one should do.

And yeah, I'd want to insulate that duct good. They sell duct insulation at HD, should be good enough with that right? Can use VB tape to tape all seams, and use fiberglass for the fan body, and VB around it. Does this sound good? I know some will just use flex duct, but I avoid it where I can, I rather overdo things.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

How to work with duct?

I like to use mastic on all seams. It is thick and gooey and makes a darn near permanent seal. You don't depend on the sticky of the tape and it is easier to seal joints that are not perfect.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 38

How to work with duct?

Try HDepot and Rona's book collection on home improvements. Some of those books are very good.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

How to work with duct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I like to use mastic on all seams. It is thick and gooey and makes a darn near permanent seal. You don't depend on the sticky of the tape and it is easier to seal joints that are not perfect.
Good to know, I'll consider this. I wanted to make it a home project to seal all my ducts with tape, but maybe this is a better solution.

The fan vent one I want to do soon is also very crucial that it is 100% air tight (in exception of both ends obviously).
Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #9

How to work with duct?

Hey red, for the bath fan buy some insulated flex and slide it over the pipe. Much faster then trying to wrap small diameter pipe .
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #10

How to work with duct?

Hey Red the crimper's you need are made by Mal co they have red handles on them, use the side with the two jaws inside the pipe you'll get the hang of it. I use sip screws and tape the joints. The hardest part is cutting the pipe and then snapping it together it can be a pain in the a--. Make sure all your joints are in the direction of air flow. When you snap it together start standing up .. put the pipe over your leg bent over.. start at one end and work your way all the way to the other end making sure the pipe is snapped together from where you started.

When you cut the pipe make sure it's unsnapped or then we get into other directions on how to do that.
COLDIRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
Chicago, IL

How to work with duct?

Introductory information on designing and installing ductwork:

www.alpinehomeair.com/related/Ductwork.pdf

http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/DesignGu...stemdesign.pdf

http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/DesignGu...stallation.pdf

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote